+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Were there formal ceremonies or events to recognize or celebrate your relationship?" I'm not sure if what we have counts!

peachybear

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
"e.g., engagement ceremony, traditional or customary marriage ceremony, commitment ceremony, partnership ceremony, reception, honeymoon, etc.,"

This is one of the questions we are currently answering,

My partner and I celebrated our 4 year anniversary with a trip to Niagara Falls and then completed our statutory declaration of common law, and we're not sure if we should include those in this part of the application? It was a celebration of our relationship for sure but is it appropriate to include it on our application, I don't want to look stupid or have the application sent back if it's unnecessary or isn't correct!!!

Thank you~

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
"e.g., engagement ceremony, traditional or customary marriage ceremony, commitment ceremony, partnership ceremony, reception, honeymoon, etc.,"

My partner and I celebrated our 4 year anniversary with a trip to Niagara Falls and then completed our statutory declaration of common law, and we're not sure if we should include those in this part of the application? It was a celebration of our relationship for sure but is it appropriate to include it on our application, I don't want to look stupid or have the application sent back if it's unnecessary or isn't correct!!!

Thank you~
IMO - this doesn't fit any of those categories.

It's just an anniversary trip. Certainly worth mentioning somewhere but not for the question above.

Major2710

Star Member
Dec 22, 2021

Thank you~

they are basically looking of a ceremony in which you had family and friends a the crowd to celebrate the couple

the trip can be used as supporting evidence of trip together

Reactions: scylla

peachybear

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018

It's just an anniversary trip. Certainly worth mentioning somewhere but not for the question above.
Thanks! Would then the statutory declaration of common-law count? We plan to marry but not for a number of years due to obviously me not being settled but also because we are supporting my partners father!

peachybear

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018

Thanks, should I just leave it as blank then? I was hoping the stat dec of comon law counted amd our trip :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, should I just leave it as blank then? I was hoping the stat dec of comon law counted amd our trip :(
Just put n/a. This is very common for common law couples. Generally there's no ceremony of any sorts.

I don't see the declaration of common law + trip as counting. I would put n/a.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Just put n/a. This is very common for common law couples. Generally there's no ceremony of any sorts.
I agree with above and to emphasize: mostly what you'd want to show under this rubric are public events, with family, friends, etc., participating. Not required necessarily for common law (ceremonies not that common).

But worth keeping in mind that it is also useful for common law couples to show evidence (photographic and other) that they are "widely recognized and taken to be in a spousal relationship by the community" etc and also known to be cohabiting.

There are few specific redline requirements as such for how to show this, but the basic concept is (and has been for centuries) a core part of the legal tradition of 'common law marriages', that the couple are not just cohabitating but widely known to be such.

So if you have some photos of the type, good to have and include. An example might be other family events or attending the weddings of others.