+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

We're planning to get married but my fiance is still under MPNP

wilma28

Nov 9, 2011
My fiance lives in Manitoba under PNP for 2 years. He was sponsored by his friend. He wants to move and work here in Alberta.
My questions are:

1. Is there any restriction/s?
2. Does it affect his sponsor for future sponsorship?
3. When we get married and expecting to have a child, is it possible to move here without affecting his sponsor?
4. How about applying for citizenship. Does he needs to go back to Manitoba or apply it in Alberta?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. When he immigrated through MPNP, he stated that his intentions were to settle in MB. By staying for 2 years, he has more than shown that it was his intention to settle in MB at the time he landed and he is free to leave.

2. His sponsor can never sponsor another person as long as he is not living in Manitoba. When he applies to sponsor another person, he must list people he has sponsored in the past and where they live. He also must sign a declaration stating that if the person he is sponsoring does not settle permanently in MB, he will be barred from sponsoring more people.

3. No. Regardless of your marriage, he already got his PR by being sponsored by his friend. Getting married and/or having a child will not change that.

4. He can apply for citizenship whereever he lives at the time he qualifies.

wilma28

Nov 9, 2011
So, there's still a chance that his sponsor can't sponsor in the future even we're expecting a child?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wilma28 said:
So, there's still a chance that his sponsor can't sponsor in the future even we're expecting a child?
Like I said, he was already sponsored by his friend under MPNP to get his PR. This is a done deal.

It does not matter what he does in the future in the ways of getting married, having children, getting citizenship, it is a fact that he was sponsored for PR by his friend through MPNP and this will never change.

Therefore, his friend will still be asked when he tries to sponsor another person who did he sponsor in the past and where is that person living. You can see the document his friend has to sign here: http://www2.immigratemanitoba.com/asset_library/en/pn/mpnp-settlement-plan-part-2.pdf

It clearly asks in section 5 if he has sponsored someone in the past and where the person is living and at the bottom, you see this statement before signing:

c. I clearly understand that the applicant made a formal declaration of their intention to live and work in Manitoba. I will not knowingly support the application of individuals who do not intend to live in Manitoba, and I understand that I will be prohibited from supporting other relatives or friends in the future if the applicant and/or his/her dependants do not settle successfully and permanently in Manitoba.

wilma28

Nov 9, 2011
Thanks so much. I clearly understand now. I guess we'll just wait for his citizenship so he can move here. Thanks for all the help. 8)

wilma28

Nov 9, 2011
In addition, can he just work outside Manitoba for less 6 months and after that he will return again?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wilma28 said:
Thanks so much. I clearly understand now. I guess we'll just wait for his citizenship so he can move here. Thanks for all the help. 8)
Like I said, citizenship has nothing to do with anything same as having kids or getting married. Even if he has citizenship, his friend will still be asked to answer the question who did he sponsor and where do they live.

wilma28 said:
In addition, can he just work outside Manitoba for less 6 months and after that he will return again?
That will probably be ok as long as when his friend applies to sponsor another person that your guy is living in Manitoba at that time. They will probably not go back and complain that he lived in another province for up to 6 months. Being resident in a province means you are there for 6 months or more so as long as he lives in Manitoba for at least 6 months a year, he is still resident there.