+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Welfare

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys , so I'm finally a permanent Worker at a wonderful company.
And of course I've been receiving welfare for the whole year of 2020 as a refugee and part of 2021.
However , I was sometimes work as a temporary worker at some companies.
Max I have worked as temporary in total was like 3 months maybe!
So I just called few days ago to cancel my welfare because I'm working full time from now on finallllllllly.
My question is that I have received that the Welfare needs some previous jobs proofs that I have worked for , he haven't mentioned all of them only a few.
He meant the Income proof.
Does that mean I have to repay the amount I was receiving when I was working at those places?
Does anyone know how much do I have to repay in percentage of the whole amount I made.
I know it's a hard question but I'm looking for similar experiences.
If I need to repay , can I repay by splitting the payments into couple of months?

I know that I can ask the welfare themselves but I really want to know some experiences with this kind of situation.

Note: I told the agent there at that time when i was working temporary btw.
He just said you'll keep receiving until you get a permanent job contract then we talk about it.

thank you.
3 months is more than just temporary. You need to update your case worker if you start working and you need to tell your case officer about all your jobs or that’s welfare fraud. Yes if you were working full-time or above a certain amount of hours you will be expected to return the money you received. Welfare is only for those who have tried to find a job but.can’t find work. Once they’ve found work they must inform the welfare office and the amount of money they receive will be reduced or cancelled altogether. Think there may have been some miscommunication when it came to the word temporary. You don’t have an option the welfare office will get access to your work records so it is best to be upfront. if you are upfront and honest a payment plan is likely an option. FYI there are many refugees never apply or receive welfare. A bit strange to see someone stressing that of course they received welfare.

Nelan

Star Member
Aug 15, 2020
Hi guys , so I'm finally a permanent Worker at a wonderful company.
And of course I've been receiving welfare for the whole year of 2020 as a refugee and part of 2021.
However , I was sometimes work as a temporary worker at some companies.
Max I have worked as temporary in total was like 3 months maybe!
So I just called few days ago to cancel my welfare because I'm working full time from now on finallllllllly.
My question is that I have received that the Welfare needs some previous jobs proofs that I have worked for , he haven't mentioned all of them only a few.
He meant the Income proof.
Does that mean I have to repay the amount I was receiving when I was working at those places?
Does anyone know how much do I have to repay in percentage of the whole amount I made.
I know it's a hard question but I'm looking for similar experiences.
If I need to repay , can I repay by splitting the payments into couple of months?

I know that I can ask the welfare themselves but I really want to know some experiences with this kind of situation.

Note: I told the agent there at that time when i was working temporary btw.
He just said you'll keep receiving until you get a permanent job contract then we talk about it.

thank you.
Give your all salary slips to welfare office
and they will give you the detail of repayment plans etc amount ,

Reactions: scylla

NexusFreedome

Apr 9, 2021
3 months is more than just temporary. You need to update your case worker if you start working and you need to tell your case officer about all your jobs or that’s welfare fraud. Yes if you were working full-time or above a certain amount of hours you will be expected to return the money you received. Welfare is only for those who have tried to find a job but.can’t find work. Once they’ve found work they must inform the welfare office and the amount of money they receive will be reduced or cancelled altogether. Think there may have been some miscommunication when it came to the word temporary. You don’t have an option the welfare office will get access to your work records so it is best to be upfront. if you are upfront and honest a payment plan is likely an option. FYI there are many refugees never apply or receive welfare. A bit strange to see someone stressing that of course they received welfare.
Well thank you
But tbh you are the one who’s misunderstood what i said.
3 months in total means
I worker 1 week here
3 days at there
2 there….
It means that the longest job I’ve had was for one week and half.
Also i did told them that what the agent told me
And they were fine with that..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well thank you
3 months in total means
I worker 1 week here
3 days at there
2 there….
Give the welfare office all of your salary slips and any other information they are asking for and they will determine if there is any amount to pay back. There may not be.

It's hard for any of us to guess if there will be money to pay back or not since this is determined very individually based on your details.

If there is money to pay back, then yes, normally you can arrange to pay this back in installments.

NexusFreedome

Apr 9, 2021
Well thank you
3 months in total means
I worker 1 week here
3 days at there
2 there….
Additional for that is the Agent was right , because it is legally allowed for me to make 200$ or a bit more every month while on welfare.
second thing is I was unemployed and it was covid when I told him , so reducing the amount which is barely enough until I eat 1 meal a day only and that's what I was doing to survive with it.
Anyway my question was about the percentage i have to pay compared to the amount I made in total.

thank you sir

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Additional for that is the Agent was right , because it is legally allowed for me to make 200$ or a bit more every month while on welfare.
second thing is I was unemployed and it was covid when I told him , so reducing the amount which is barely enough until I eat 1 meal a day only and that's what I was doing to survive with it.
Anyway my question was about the percentage i have to pay compared to the amount I made in total.

thank you sir
No one here can tell you what the percentage of earned earning has to be paid back compared to what you received in social benefits . The only person that can tell you that is your case worker.
You mentioned you had called social services, probably call them again to find out the amounts and payment arrangement