+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Welfare overpayment while doing spousal sponsorship

samar077

May 23, 2023
Hello everyone,
Please if anyone can advice me, what to do ,I was on welfare ontario, and I closed my file with them, but I find out I have overpayment on my name of 3000$ with them, recently I got married and planing to sponsor my spouse Outland, I want to know what is better to do pay the full amount!
or just pay monthly,if I pay monthly it doesn't affect the sponsorship?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,
Please if anyone can advice me, what to do ,I was on welfare ontario, and I closed my file with them, but I find out I have overpayment on my name of 3000$ with them, recently I got married and planing to sponsor my spouse Outland, I want to know what is better to do pay the full amount!
or just pay monthly,if I pay monthly it doesn't affect the sponsorship?
Repay the full amount before you submit the application to sponsor your spouse.

Reactions: YVR123 and samar077
Apr 27, 2024
Here are some important points to consider:

Overpayment and Sponsorship:
When you were on welfare in Ontario, an overpayment occurred, resulting in a debt of $3000.
Now that you’re planning to sponsor your spouse Outland, it’s essential to address this overpayment.

Options for Repayment:
You have two main options:
Pay the Full Amount: If you can afford it, paying the full $3000 upfront would clear the debt immediately.
Pay Monthly: Alternatively, you can set up a monthly payment plan. This allows you to spread out the repayment over time.
The choice depends on your financial situation and priorities.

Impact on Sponsorship:
Paying the overpayment won’t directly affect your sponsorship application.

However, consider the following:
Financial Stability: Sponsoring a spouse involves financial responsibilities. If you pay the full amount, it shows financial stability.
Debt Obligations: If you choose monthly payments, ensure they don’t strain your finances. You’ll need to balance both the overpayment and sponsorship obligations.
Sponsorship Agreement: Remember that as a sponsor, you commit to providing for your spouse’s essential needs during the sponsorship period. Overpayments may impact this commitment.
Legal Obligations: Legally, both you and your spouse are equally responsible for the overpayment debt if you were a benefit unit at the time it occurred. Even if you separate, the responsibility remains. Efforts will be made to recover each person’s equal share.
Communication with Ontario Works: Contact Ontario Works to discuss your situation. They can provide guidance on repayment options and any potential impact on your sponsorship. Transparency is crucial inform them about your plans to sponsor your spouse.

Reactions: samar077

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Impact on Sponsorship:
Paying the overpayment won’t directly affect your sponsorship application.
I suspect the above is a bot or AI-generated text. Usual clues: very plausible bullshit, but bullshit. And single post. Soon it'll start posting links.

Go away, bot.

There is an impact on sponsorship: you won't be approved unless it's paid (or possibly on payment plan), but likely will be substantially delayed, and possibly until it's paid off.

Last edited: