+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Welfare eligability

nader gamal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Hi,

I have been in Canada for one year, and still am not stable financially and Cant find the right job.

I want to ask about welfare assistance details, how much they are paying, if there is any disadvantages going through it? does it has any impact in the future in regards of credit history or when thinking about buying a house, when inviting parents as visitors, etc. I am planing to start some studies, and need a source of income till I finish those studies.

Also I am now making a sponsorship to my wife and I received the letter saying that I am accepted as a sponsor and the file transferred to Cairo embassy, do the welfare has any impact on the sponsorship status?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
nader gamal said:
Hi,

I have been in Canada for one year, and still am not stable financially and Cant find the right job.

I want to ask about welfare assistance details, how much they are paying, if there is any disadvantages going through it? does it has any impact in the future in regards of credit history or when thinking about buying a house, when inviting parents as visitors, etc. I am planing to start some studies, and need a source of income till I finish those studies.

Also I am now making a sponsorship to my wife and I received the letter saying that I am accepted as a sponsor and the file transferred to Cairo embassy, do the welfare has any impact on the sponsorship status?
If you go on welfare, your sponsorship application is probably dead in the water. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp
You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

did not meet the terms of a sponsorship agreement in the past,
did not pay alimony or child support even though a court ordered it,
get government financial help for reasons other than being disabled,

nader gamal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

So Could you please answer me about the rest of my question regarding the welfare, assuming if I can do it after finishing the sponsorship process.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
nader gamal said:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

So Could you please answer me about the rest of my question regarding the welfare, assuming if I can do it after finishing the sponsorship process.
I'm not entirely sure what happens to a sponsor who has an active sponsorship undertaking. I'm pretty certain that you would have to pay it back, just as you would for any welfare accepted by the sponsored applicant.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nader gamal said:
You are highly unlikely to be eligible for welfare as a student.

Welfare payments, details, eligibility, requirements etc will depend on which province you live in.

Zardoz has answered regarding spousal sponsorship.

Credit history, buying a house etc will be dependent on your financial situation at the time you decide to buy. I.e. A previous period on welfare will not in itself affect that.

Likewise: if your parents are financially independent, a visitor visa application would not be affected.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can't apply for welfare while your wife's PR application is being processed. If you do, the application will be refused.

Once your wife lands, if you take welfare during any time within the first three years, you will have to pay this money back to the government.

If you need a source of funds while you complete your studies - then you should be taking an educational loan (e.g. OSAP) - not welfare.

nader gamal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Hi scylla

So you mentioned "if you take welfare during any time within the first three years, you will have to pay this money back to the government"

This is because of the sponsorship or what? so making a sponsorship to my spouse is an obligation to cover all expenses for 3 years and don't ask for assistance?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
nader gamal said:
Hi scylla

So you mentioned "if you take welfare during any time within the first three years, you will have to pay this money back to the government"

This is because of the sponsorship or what? so making a sponsorship to my spouse is an obligation to cover all expenses for 3 years and don't ask for assistance?
Yes - that's right. It's because of the sponsorship and the three year obligation you signed.