+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WEIRD behavior from Passport Canada agent, is this normal?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You still couldn't answer why they were able to approve other cases like mine without requiring those applicants to document why they couldn't find an eligible guarantor. Someone in this thread itself was approved without a guarantor and they had been in Canada for slightly longer than me.
Short answer is I don't know, of course - files can be different for reasons unknown to us. I doubt that such differences have much legal meaning, unfortunately, at least in terms of you potentially challenging - but feel free to explore with a lawyer.

*I mean I doubt they have much legal meaning because no actual facts or details, and I don't think there's remotely enough that can be gleaned from them to demonstrate ... well, whatever it is you seem to think would strengthen your case, like some claim of .. well, I don't get your legal theory here. So best to discuss with a lawyer.

I'll be interested to hear what a lawyer says.

Reactions: kmoser

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Digressing a little from need or not for a guarantor.

Can my spouse who became a citizen a couple of years ago, be my guarantor? Anyone has adverse (or any other experience) in that regard?
The guide says, yes, but it would be good if someone could share their experience.

@armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Can my spouse who became a citizen a couple of years ago, be my guarantor? Anyone has adverse (or any other experience) in that regard?
The guide says, yes, but it would be good if someone could share their experience.

@armoured
I would simply say that if the guide says yes, the answer is yes.

Reactions: bellaluna

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

@armoured
Check the requirements. I got confused with reference and guarantors requirements. Are you ready to submit ? Which office do you plan to go if walk-in?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Check the requirements. I got confused with reference and guarantors requirements. Are you ready to submit ? Which office do you plan to go if walk-in?
Still planning my strategy. Don't have an appointment yet. What I've understood is that unless you are 48 hours from travel, they will not entertain you at Passport Canada. The problem is that if I am 48 hrs from travel, no hope in hell I'll have an Indian visa.

So I'm pretty confused at this stage. I'm also waiting for one of my daughters to arrive from University. Will apply together.

Man, things were so good pre-covid. My wife and other kids became citizens. Two days later they applied in person at the office. Within two weeks, it was all done. Present situation is a bloody mess.

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Still planning my strategy. Don't have an appointment yet. What I've understood is that unless you are 48 hours from travel, they will not entertain you at Passport Canada. The problem is that if I am 48 hrs from travel, no hope in hell I'll have an Indian visa.

So I'm pretty confused at this stage. I'm also waiting for one of my daughters to arrive from University. Will apply together.

Man, things were so good pre-covid. My wife and other kids became citizens. Two days later they applied in person at the office. Within two weeks, it was all done. Present situation is a bloody mess.
I see. that is good to know that pp Canada will not entertain (had no idea). I am planning to go tomorrow. I have a flight booked for May 1st. pretty clueless but will see how it goes tomorrow. Im not sure where to go tbh. lol

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

There is a link to book appointment for 3-25 b days but no office has availability it seems. not sure what is the jugaar for that

• Wow
Reactions: m3us

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think that’s been disabled. I was even checking Kitchener. Pls keep us posted how your attempt goes tomorrow.
just got off the phone . the agent said if there is no availability that means there is none for the next whole month. So keep looking but earliest would be may 6th. Also cannot walk in if not urgent. and there i was thinking, i could just walk in and try my luck

kmoser

Mar 22, 2022
A very late update to this thread:

While I was away on my trip last month I received a call from the complaints department - I had submitted about 3 to 4 complaints online in total. I was on the phone only briefly as I had a really bad connection but the person from Complaints informed me that an inquiry was being opened into my case following my complaints (also, it turns out the agent I had last spoken to over the phone had not closed my file as I had requested). I got back two weeks ago and had no issue at the airport as I don't need an eTA to enter Canada with the passport from my country of origin. I had no further contact with anyone from the Passport Office or the Complaints department since coming back - while away I had resolved to waste no further effort on this matter and started the process of applying to move to Portugal. Imagine my surprise last Friday when I checked my mailbox. Yes, my Canadian passport was delivered to my mailbox! When I applied in person back in March I had requested in person pick-up but I guess there must be a time limit for how long they will hold your passport - I didn't get any further calls from them to pick up my passport and I didn't contact them again either since getting back.

I'm just glad I'm finally done with this without having to bend to the original wayward officer's whims. To anyone who doesn't have a guarantor I recommend applying by mail rather than in-person (I believe the officer who received my application in person just didn't like something about me, I could tell by how quickly his whole attitude changed the minute he saw I didn't have a guarantor, he hadn't yet questioned me as to why that was the case but his demeanor was already very hostile).

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
A very late update to this thread:

While I was away on my trip last month I received a call from the complaints department - I had submitted about 3 to 4 complaints online in total. I was on the phone only briefly as I had a really bad connection but the person from Complaints informed me that an inquiry was being opened into my case following my complaints (also, it turns out the agent I had last spoken to over the phone had not closed my file as I had requested). I got back two weeks ago and had no issue at the airport as I don't need an eTA to enter Canada with the passport from my country of origin. I had no further contact with anyone from the Passport Office or the Complaints department since coming back - while away I had resolved to waste no further effort on this matter and started the process of applying to move to Portugal. Imagine my surprise last Friday when I checked my mailbox. Yes, my Canadian passport was delivered to my mailbox! When I applied in person back in March I had requested in person pick-up but I guess there must be a time limit for how long they will hold your passport - I didn't get any further calls from them to pick up my passport and I didn't contact them again either since getting back.

I'm just glad I'm finally done with this without having to bend to the original wayward officer's whims. To anyone who doesn't have a guarantor I recommend applying by mail rather than in-person (I believe the officer who received my application in person just didn't like something about me, I could tell by how quickly his whole attitude changed the minute he saw I didn't have a guarantor, he hadn't yet questioned me as to why that was the case but his demeanor was already very hostile).
Thanks for the updated. I'm glad everything worked out with your passport. All the best in Portugal!

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Just hangin in there. I would say you will be fine. Maybe the agent woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day. I submitted in person the same documents as you and I was just told to make sure the references are available when they call. They called 2 out of 4 and today I picked up my passport. So all good!!!
I am in the same situation.
Had 4 references and no guarantor and all 4 were called. 3 picked up the call and spoke to the agent but one couldn’t as he was busy and he tried to call back, it went to some busy line.
Should I be concerned that only 3 out of 4 references could pick the call?

alou1221

Aug 8, 2022
I am in the same situation.
Had 4 references and no guarantor and all 4 were called. 3 picked up the call and spoke to the agent but one couldn’t as he was busy and he tried to call back, it went to some busy line.
Should I be concerned that only 3 out of 4 references could pick the call?

I submitted PPTC 132 and the officer wanted to call all of my 4 references. Had to urge the 3 who couldn't answer, to call back.
They told me if they cannot reach them, there will be a delay.
How ridiculous that the government doesn't guarantee my identity.
Even after call with all the 4, the agent told me that there's no guarantee that I get the passport,and I got nervous and canceled the air ticket.

Reactions: fièrementcanadien

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
I submitted PPTC 132 and the officer wanted to call all of my 4 references. Had to urge the 3 who couldn't answer, to call back.
They told me if they cannot reach them, there will be a delay.
How ridiculous that the government doesn't guarantee my identity.
Even after call with all the 4, the agent told me that there's no guarantee that I get the passport,and I got nervous and canceled the air ticket.
I was able to eventually get it.
When I went to pick my passport, agent said my passport wasn’t approved yet.
So they called right then and there to remaining references and confirmed with them.

then they printed it on same day. I had to wait for some 6 hours inside the facility and got my passport.