+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WEIRD behavior from Passport Canada agent, is this normal?

gordinho

Mar 20, 2021
The guarantor requirement is archaic, I think we most here agree about it. But use this as a learning experience.

If you have trouble finding a single person with a Canadian passport (could also be an immigrant like most of us here) willing to write on a piece of paper that you are who you claim you are then that means that after more than half a decade you are not really integrated in the Canadian society.

It's not a big deal to ask someone to be your guarantor, you probably know a lot people willing to be your guarantor.. you don't need to be friends, just vouch that you are real. It can be the grocery person you buy food from...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
While I'm no fan of this outdated system it wouldn't bother me as much if it allowed for cases such as mine - according to the website, it does (see post #43 where someone in a similar situation was able to obtain a passport). ...
because if it were true that one is automatically disqualified from obtaining a passport simply on that basis then we wouldn't be seeing posters here claiming the opposite, a search revealed at least 4 such people from this forum alone.
At this point I think it's best to just wait and see what happens - you've already submitted your app. (If you want to submit any supplementary info as per this thread, go ahead, too).

Personally I think that there's little likelihood you'll be refused outright - possibly will just take longer.

The procedure exists, there's nothing wrong with using it. But the reality - as with some other IRCC procedures - is that in edge cases, it can take longer and/or require more info. And I believe the fact that eg applicants cannot even get the form online that they do not wish to see many such cases, and underlying that is a belief that actually, almost everyone should be able to meet the test of finding a guarantor (and may treat such claims with skepticism/more investigation).

"Reasons" - such as having some condition that makes that not feasible - certainly won't hurt, and may outright help in cases where it's a demonstrable condition. They're not trying to punish anyone, they truly believe it's a simple test that all should be able to meet (rare exceptions).

kmoser

Mar 22, 2022
At this point I think it's best to just wait and see what happens - you've already submitted your app. (If you want to submit any supplementary info as per this thread, go ahead, too).

Personally I think that there's little likelihood you'll be refused outright - possibly will just take longer.

The procedure exists, there's nothing wrong with using it. But the reality - as with some other IRCC procedures - is that in edge cases, it can take longer and/or require more info. And I believe the fact that eg applicants cannot even get the form online that they do not wish to see many such cases, and underlying that is a belief that actually, almost everyone should be able to meet the test of finding a guarantor (and may treat such claims with skepticism/more investigation).

"Reasons" - such as having some condition that makes that not feasible - certainly won't hurt, and may outright help in cases where it's a demonstrable condition. They're not trying to punish anyone, they truly believe it's a simple test that all should be able to meet (rare exceptions).
I think I'll wait it out till next week. I'm supposed to be picking up my passport then, I have yet to receive any calls to tell me that the application was denied. And at least two of my references haven't been contacted, I don't know about the others. I have also filed a complaint online about the agent who served me. In any case I'll be updating here.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Come on, guys. Doesn't have to be like this. We're all heading towards the same destination and there's no need to add extra weight on each other's shoulders.

kmoser

Mar 22, 2022
You don't have to comprehend the "hostile attitude of the agent" if indeed that's what was presented to you. That's but one agent. And, if you are right and he was wrong, and you are at liberty to submit a stat. dec. in lieu, then just get on with that instead of coming here and screaming about how outrageous it all is and singularly unfair to you.
It seems you didn't even read my posts but only came here to defend your little clique. In my first post I asked if my agent's behavior was normal - I was looking for input from people who may have experienced something similar, if I can't do that here what purpose then does this forum serve ? You don't get to decide what others find outrageous nor to dictate how people should react to any situation.

You are the one getting enraged. Your posts are dripping with it.
Far from it. I was merely annoyed by the poster who brought up their ancestry somehow insinuating that newcomers shouldn't be seeking to change a system (however archaic) established by their forefathers. For some reason it riled them up, they probably have no idea how bigoted they come across. In retrospect I should just have ignored that post.

You evidently have serious anger management issues and, most likely, a borderline personality disorder. By your own admission, you don't make friends easily; every place you have worked you have found to be "toxic"; you have decided best to be self-employed and to not have to interact with others. Everything you have said here bears witness to that. Has it occurred to you that the single common denominator in what is evidently a long line of failed interpersonal relationships is YOU? It is you sorely lacking something in your makeup that inhibits civil discourse with others in, apparently, a variety of circumstances.
I've made no secret of that fact that I'm neurodivergent and yes I've decided for myself that it's far more preferable for my peace of mind to be self-employed rather than continue the mentally taxing chore of masking in order to fit in. I value my peace of mind more than artificial societal constructs.

Having joined this forum barely a week ago, you express overall disapproval with the forum thus:

So, having just joined and started a single thread, you see fit to remonstrate about "the worst part of posting here" when you failed to have every poster who responded fall into line and say exactly what you wanted to hear. How mature.
I had no idea this forum was some sort of clique where what I can post depends on how long I have been a member of the club. It's not that I don't want to hear that the system cannot be changed but the manner in which the status quo was being defended. I suppose I would have felt the same way a few centuries ago if someone was defending, say, slavery or any other archaic system.

And what are the "lot of assumptions about immigrants" that I make? Name even one.
By mentioning how much you had paid in taxes over a lifetime you came across as implying that newcomers who haven't contributed much to the economy yet somehow had less of a right to complain and seek to change a system they don't agree with.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
It seems you didn't even read my posts but only came here to defend your little clique. In my first post I asked if my agent's behavior was normal - I was looking for input from people who may have experienced something similar, if I can't do that here what purpose then does this forum serve ? You don't get to decide what others find outrageous nor to dictate how people should react to any situation.

Far from it. I was merely annoyed by the poster who brought up their ancestry somehow insinuating that newcomers shouldn't be seeking to change a system (however archaic) established by their forefathers. For some reason it riled them up, they probably have no idea how bigoted they come across. In retrospect I should just have ignored that post.

I've made no secret of that fact that I'm neurodivergent and yes I've decided for myself that it's far more preferable for my peace of mind to be self-employed rather than continue the mentally taxing chore of masking in order to fit in. I value my peace of mind more than artificial societal constructs.

I had no idea this forum was some sort of clique where what I can post depends on how long I have been a member of the club. It's not that I don't want to hear that the system cannot be changed but the manner in which the status quo was being defended. I suppose I would have felt the same way a few centuries ago if someone was defending, say, slavery or any other archaic system.

By mentioning how much you had paid in taxes over a lifetime you came across as implying that newcomers who haven't contributed much to the economy yet somehow had less of a right to complain and seek to change a system they don't agree with.
Did you hear from them?

Last edited:

aurora2014

Star Member
May 8, 2014
It is a stupid requirement IMO to need a guarantor who is willing to give you so much PII and sensitive info about themselves.
I was deeply embarrassed when I realized how much info I needed to have from my guarantor.
Ironically though, it was easier for me to find a guarantor for my family's Canadian passports than it was for me to get my son a British passport. I left the UK as a minor, and my son (born overseas) had British citizenship at birth. Getting him a passport during a visit to the UK six years back required that I find a non-family member in the UK who had known me for at least five years - no mean feat considering I'd been away for 25 years at that point.

Reactions: tfox72

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I was deeply embarrassed when I realized how much info I needed to have from my guarantor.
What's difficult about the info required from guarantor? Identification and contact info, passport number. All things the government will certainly have anyway.

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
Ironically though, it was easier for me to find a guarantor for my family's Canadian passports than it was for me to get my son a British passport. I left the UK as a minor, and my son (born overseas) had British citizenship at birth. Getting him a passport during a visit to the UK six years back required that I find a non-family member in the UK who had known me for at least five years - no mean feat considering I'd been away for 25 years at that point.
It's not easy for new immigrants either. I know a lot of people in Canada but most aren't citizens yet. No relatives either. Asking colleagues and casual acquaintances to give me their passport number, DOB, etc and be ready on standby for a phone call feels like an intrusion.

aurora2014

Star Member
May 8, 2014
What's difficult about the info required from guarantor? Identification and contact info, passport number. All things the government will certainly have anyway.
I feel that it's a lot of info to ask of someone - it's basically his entire passport identity page. All I'd need to get is his SIN and I'd be ready to steal his identity. If you don't think it's an invasion of my friend's privacy to ask for that stuff then I don't think I can convince you otherwise.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I feel that it's a lot of info to ask of someone - it's basically his entire passport identity page. All I'd need to get is his SIN and I'd be ready to steal his identity. If you don't think it's an invasion of my friend's privacy to ask for that stuff then I don't think I can convince you otherwise.
Then I guess you can't convince me. Almost all of this is basic identity stuff the government already has. Apart from passport #, most of this is "phone book" level of available to just about anyone, including the government.

If you don't know anyone who trusts you enough to not steal their identity, then I think you have more serious issues than a passport application.

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
A lot of people don't value their privacy enough, I think that's a mistake in today's digital age. Before the knives come out, let me clarify this is my personal opinion, and I couldn't care less how much others publicly share about themselves. Selfishly, I'm quite ok with that since they are lower hanging fruit for identity thieves, so sincere thanks to all the over-sharers.

Oh btw, Starbucks gives a free coffee or sandwich once a year on your birthday, if you download their app. I got my free Americano today on 1st April... Fools Day is my birthday on every marketing list and loyalty program ;)