+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Weekend Flagpoling in Niagara

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
I'm currently on a work permit, living in GTA. I received my COPR and intend to land this weekend at one of the Niagara crossings.
I've seen some postings, some even recently, that the CBSA is not allowing landing in Niagara on weekends.

The letter from CIC warns of wait times at the PoE during weekends and there is no indication of any weekend restrictions. The CBSA website says, both their Niagara offices process immigration cases 24/7.

So, from what is officially communicated, there seems to be no restrictions.
Anyone recently landed in Niagara during the weekend?

p.s: I intend to stay overnight on Saturday in Niagara, and can, if needed, go to the border during a slow time like after midnight or very early in the morning.

btoronto

Star Member
May 6, 2014
I'm currently on a work permit, living in GTA. I received my COPR and intend to land this weekend at one of the Niagara crossings.
I've seen some postings, some even recently, that the CBSA is not allowing landing in Niagara on weekends.

The letter from CIC warns of wait times at the PoE during weekends and there is no indication of any weekend restrictions. The CBSA website says, both their Niagara offices process immigration cases 24/7.

p.s: I intend to stay overnight on Saturday in Niagara, and can, if needed, go to the border during a slow time like after midnight or very early in the morning.
Remember that those offices also get people living in the US and process their landings. For them it has never been a restriction. So my bet is that yes, they process those cases all the time but they have restrictions for flagpolers.

Anyway, you should call to be safe.

I also recommend landing at 1000 islands. I did it on a Sunday with no issued.

save_me_plz

Jun 5, 2014
Remember that those offices also get people living in the US and process their landings. For them it has never been a restriction. So my bet is that yes, they process those cases all the time but they have restrictions for flagpolers.

Anyway, you should call to be safe.

I also recommend landing at 1000 islands. I did it on a Sunday with no issued.
where is Thousand island bridge which city ?

save_me_plz

Jun 5, 2014

same situation. I dont know where to go . I dont even drive

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
The previous discussions on the subject of landing in Niagara on a weekend was not very encouraging. Did not want to take the chance and landed in Sarnia today.
The process was mostly painless, except it took 90 minutes to turn around at the US end because of the weekend crown going into the country. I reached around noon and got caught up in the queue on the vehicle lanes in to border check and also inside the CBP office where we waited until they processed our "Refusal" form.
Once I was on the Canada side, it was painless. No crowd and hardly anyone inside the immigration office. We were out in ~20 minutes.

One thing I checked with the CBSA officer is if I can use my still valid work permit papers to travel out of Canada if needed. He said if I can manage to get on a plane to Canada with my work permit documents, the CBSA will land me without a problem at the airports.

Started this journey, i.e., made up my mind to apply for PR in June 2017 and booked my CELPIP exam. The process, atleast provisionally until I receive the PR card, ended today with us landing today.

Need to get to Service Ontario to get the new SIN numbers too. Is there a deadline to get this done after landing?

TimothyDube

Dec 1, 2017

I would warn against flagpolling at Niagra on the weekend. I have seen the CBSA circular. I think the website speaks about immigration processes generally (the border is always open and persons must be documented on entry). However, the circular says landing will not be processed during that time.