+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wedding photos or not for sponsoring wife

kingdawid

Jan 20, 2016
Hi sponsorship experts,

I am curious what wedding ceremony versus quick private wedding can do to a sponsorship application of a wife into Canada, like say if I got married in Philippines with her.

Would attaching photos of the ceremony help with the process, or does outland/inland sponsorship even care much how we got married?

Basically I want to get married to her soon but I don't know if I should be planning some ceremony (with photos) or just do a quick wedding to be done with it and jump into sponsorship.

What if she got married in Canada, does that make any difference? Does wedding ceremony matter if she got married in Canada? How about inland application, do they care more or less about ceremony proof?

M

mikeymyke

Doing a quick wedding with no good reason to is trouble, and will lead to greater scrutiny of your application. Forget an inland application, you'll regret it since she cannot leave the country, cannot appeal a negative decision, and has to deal with 2 year processing time. Long story short is, do a traditional ceremony, try to invite your family to the wedding and her family as well, and take lots of photos.

ginsengsamurai

Jan 29, 2012
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2015 July 30 (Outland)
AOR Received.
2015 August 28
File Transfer...
2015 September 28
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2015 July 6
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Exempt, 2016 January 7 [DM], January 12 [COPR received]
LANDED..........
2016 May 11
The thing to remember when applying for things that will make a review of the sincerity of a relationship, is that you need to prove that sincerity. In other words, don't cut corners.

In terms of photos and your wedding, as Mikey has suggested, definitely do one that shows that your relationship is true. For myself, my best man was our wedding photographer. His father flew us to Germany and my wife's entire family was there to celebrate it with us. We submitted about 150+ wedding photos and about 100 photos of other occasions. Our wedding happened at the town hall surrounded by immediate family. When we walked out of the building, a crowd of friends and family members from my wife's side greeted us with cheers. So not only did we have a lot of witnesses, but we had a full day of celebrations and events. We also submitted a few hundred pages of phone logs, Whatsapp messages, emails, text messages, phone bills, credit card bills, Paypal money transfers and receipts of hotel stays, as well as train reservations.

Just remember that More Proof > Less Proof. :)

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Absolutely agree. However, processing out of Manila will only require 60 photos (that's what we submitted with our application).

kingdawid

Jan 20, 2016
Okay thanks for the info. I was also kind of hoping to do quick marriage papers in the Philippines and then when she finally gets to Canada do a wedding ceremony, because much of my family that lives in USA wants an excuse to visit me in Canada for my wedding but I doubt they would want to come to Philippines for my wedding ceremony. But it seems there is no way around it and have to get married in Philippines, ouch. Cause seems visitor visa is too hard for Philippines girlfriend to come over to Canada.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
kingdawid said:
Okay thanks for the info. I was also kind of hoping to do quick marriage papers in the Philippines and then when she finally gets to Canada do a wedding ceremony, because much of my family that lives in USA wants an excuse to visit me in Canada for my wedding but I doubt they would want to come to Philippines for my wedding ceremony. But it seems there is no way around it and have to get married in Philippines, ouch. Cause seems visitor visa is too hard for Philippines girlfriend to come over to Canada.
It's better to take your time and avoid the possible 2+ year wait time for an interview. Cover all your bases now so you have a quick application.

M

mikeymyke

kingdawid said:
You also have to think about it from CIC's point of view. Why wouldn't your parents want to attend their son's most important day of his life? Is it really that inconvenient to take a week off for the wedding? If you look at the Canlii.org cases, you will see visa officers frequently make note of the absence of parents/family as a red flag. Of course each person's circumstances are different and CIC won't necessarily refuse an application because the parents/family didn't attend the wedding, but if you have really good reasons for them not attending, it won't be an issue.

I married my wife in Vietnam. My stepdad, mom, 2 brothers, 1 sister, grandma, and three family friends came all the way from Canada to attend my wedding. Also 3 friends from France came to Vietnam for the wedding. My wife got her visa in under 6 months. You don't of course, have to bring so many people, the parents should be the absolute minimum.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
mikeymyke said:
You also have to think about it from CIC's point of view. Why wouldn't your parents want to attend their son's most important day of his life? Is it really that inconvenient to take a week off for the wedding? If you look at the Canlii.org cases, you will see visa officers frequently make note of the absence of parents/family as a red flag. Of course each person's circumstances are different and CIC won't necessarily refuse an application because the parents/family didn't attend the wedding, but if you have really good reasons for them not attending, it won't be an issue.

I married my wife in Vietnam. My stepdad, mom, 2 brothers, 1 sister, grandma, and three family friends came all the way from Canada to attend my wedding. Also 3 friends from France came to Vietnam for the wedding. My wife got her visa in under 6 months. You don't of course, have to bring so many people, the parents should be the absolute minimum.
For an application out of Manila, I respectfully disagree. None of my family came to the Philippines for my wedding, I simply stated they were unable to attend each for their own reasons.

PBianca

Jan 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/03/2016
AOR Received.
14/04/2016
File Transfer...
06/10/2016
Med's Done....
01/10/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28/09/2016
VISA ISSUED...
03/10/2016
LANDED..........
06/10/2016
kingdawid said:
Hi sponsorship experts,

I am curious what wedding ceremony versus quick private wedding can do to a sponsorship application of a wife into Canada, like say if I got married in Philippines with her.

Would attaching photos of the ceremony help with the process, or does outland/inland sponsorship even care much how we got married?

Basically I want to get married to her soon but I don't know if I should be planning some ceremony (with photos) or just do a quick wedding to be done with it and jump into sponsorship.

What if she got married in Canada, does that make any difference? Does wedding ceremony matter if she got married in Canada? How about inland application, do they care more or less about ceremony proof?

Hey there, My husband and I got married in the Philippines last June 2015, no one in his family come, we are just going to send our application this February, we just put all the reasons why they didnt come to our wedding, and we got lots of proof of our relationship, there's photos of our wedding and other occasions, and lots of conversations, we've waited for three years to get married so dont rush things, time will come, and make the best out of it, hopefully me and my husband will be together for good, everything has its perfect timing :) Good luck and don't lose hope.

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
mikeymyke said:
Doing a quick wedding with no good reason to is trouble, and will lead to greater scrutiny of your application. Forget an inland application, you'll regret it since she cannot leave the country, cannot appeal a negative decision, and has to deal with 2 year processing time. Long story short is, do a traditional ceremony, try to invite your family to the wedding and her family as well, and take lots of photos.
Oh really, where does it say in CIC guides that quick wedding is trouble?
We got married on Friday afternoon in the city center without any ceremony(whole thing took about 20 minutes) and had absolutely no issues with our immigration process. It is a personal choice how people want to get married, in our view spending thousands on the house sounded like a better investment than on a drunken marriage party with 100 people.

beast2000

Aug 26, 2014
o6ocpaka said:
We got married on Friday afternoon in the city center without any ceremony(whole thing took about 20 minutes) and had absolutely no issues with our immigration process. It is a personal choice how people want to get married, in our view spending thousands on the house sounded like a better investment than on a drunken marriage party with 100 people.
Comment of the day. Ive been married over 10 years and together for 15. I had no issues. Didnt even have a photo of the day. We had more important things to spend money on at the time.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
o6ocpaka said:
The deal with quick weddings depends on where the wedding happened and the country of origin of both sponsor and applicant. CIC likes to follow stereotypical norms. For example, the stereotypical norm of an Indian wedding is that it is a huge affair with hundreds of people. I'd say that is a fairly accurate statement since the largest weddings I have been to have all been Indian ones by far (I've been to several). So CIC likes to see large weddings in India by a couple of Indian descent. On the flip side, smaller weddings are becoming much more common in North America as many people feel it is just a waste of money to get into debt for a wedding. And the "city hall" wedding is not all that unusual. Even the whole "diamond engagement ring" thing is starting to fade for various reasons (blood diamonds, waste of money for something many people don;t wear much, etc). The feeling of "losing face" and "shame" of a small wedding is not so big here. Hence CIC doesn't make a big deal of it in those cases.

M

mikeymyke

truesmile said:
For an application out of Manila, I respectfully disagree. None of my family came to the Philippines for my wedding, I simply stated they were unable to attend each for their own reasons.
True, but you're far from a red flag case. I don't know the details of your case (you have too many posts to go through), but someone who only needed 3 sentences to describe their relationship must be a very solid case. Your family didn't come, but the rest of your relationship is solid.

o6ocpaka said:
It doesn't say in CIC guides, but if you look at Canlii.org cases (red flag cases), they frequently mention the absence of parents at the wedding, and of course, the applicant's insufficient reasoning behind it, as red flags. Also these people already have other red flags on top of that. Absence of parents by itself, as I already mentioned before, doesn't mean much if the rest of your relationship is solid.

By the way, your spouse is an American, court weddings with no ceremony (or no parents), is a very common occurrence, hence you had no issues with your immigration app. You could even marry someone with a 30 year age difference and it'd probably won't raise suspicion.

beast2000 said:
Comment of the day. Ive been married over 10 years and together for 15. I had no issues. Didnt even have a photo of the day. We had more important things to spend money on at the time.
Married for 10 years, together for 15. A solid relationship profile. Of course you wouldn't have any issues. And once again, you're an American. Lack of ceremony/parents, is a non-issue in that country.

And I wish you guys would've read my post more closely when I said

" Of course each person's circumstances are different and CIC won't necessarily refuse an application because the parents/family didn't attend the wedding, but if you have really good reasons for them not attending, it won't be an issue."

If an applicant, typically from a non visa exempt country where parents/traditional marriages are the norm, does not perform one AND their relationship profile is rather weak, it would be wise to at least try to invite the parents to attend to bolster their case. I know of one member here whose case had lots of red flags, but showed he couldn't get his dad to come to Indonesia to marry because he was dying and ill, and his mom was ill as well. They ended up not getting an interview and got the visa in under a year. For people like that, it's critical that if the parents cannot attend, then there is some good reasoning behind it. With with strong relationship profiles, this becomes less of an issue, and even a non-issue for US citizens.

ginsengsamurai

Jan 29, 2012
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2015 July 30 (Outland)
AOR Received.
2015 August 28
File Transfer...
2015 September 28
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2015 July 6
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Exempt, 2016 January 7 [DM], January 12 [COPR received]
LANDED..........
2016 May 11
mikeymyke said:
Married for 10 years, together for 15. A solid relationship profile. Of course you wouldn't have any issues. And once again, you're an American. Lack of ceremony/parents, is a non-issue in that country.
Exactly this.

I know of five different people who went through Outland application. One that came from mainland China were together in a relationship for over 6 years, but had a very simple wedding with just the two of them, a couple of friends and the wife's pastor. CIC gave them hell and they had to go through a long and arduous repeal process. Their entire wedding day consisted of 10 very plain looking photos. Then my friend who had a less than two year relationship with her Canadian boyfriend, that lived in New Jersey, USA, had a tiny wedding ceremony for about a dozen friends and family, took about 50 photos and CIC didn't have a problem with their application.

While it's true that the cost of a wedding shouldn't dictate how CIC views the sincerity of a relationship, the circumstances going through one does.

mikeymyke said:
If an applicant, typically from a non visa exempt country where parents/traditional marriages are the norm, does not perform one AND their relationship profile is rather weak, it would be wise to at least try to invite the parents to attend to bolster their case.
And as such, Mikey here was offering advice answering the original poster's worries. If people have such a problem with his answers, may I suggest that next time, they take into consideration that not all countries are looked upon the same by CIC agents.

kingdawid

Jan 20, 2016
Okay so based on the responses Philippines should have a ceremony with parents in photos, but a place like USA doesn't need a ceremony at all haha.

I can at least bring my dad, that should be good right? And her family and church friends too in Philippines.

Mikeymike mentioned that his wife got a visa in under 6 months, I am very curious about this. Do you mean after you got married she got a visitor visa in under 6 months? Does that mean when she applied for a visitor visa she declared she was visiting you (her husband)? And also you gave an invitation letter saying your wife was visiting you? I would very much like to know if she can get a visitor visa after the marriage, or if perhaps the visitor visa is harder for her to get after the marriage.

Regardless we would be trying to get visitor visa after we get married in Philippines, because I only have 3 weeks vacation a year and that would be terrible to only visit her that much while waiting for outland sponsorship to finish.

Thank you for helping me cover my bases!