+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ways to extend living abroad

success2016

Jul 13, 2016
Are there any ways to extend living abroad other than what is on the Website?

One of the conditions is that if one works for a Canadian company they can live abroad for longer but does anyone know more in detail regarding that? Like what is actually considered by the government as a Canadian company and do I have to be assigned by that company in order for this can take effect?

Any information is much appreciated.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Many posts on this subject here but main point is you have to be employed first in Canada by a Canadian company and then assigned to a position outside the country by that company still employed by that company.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
And staying with Canadian wife outside Canada?

success2016

Jul 13, 2016
Bs65 said:
Many posts on this subject here but main point is you have to be employed first in Canada by a Canadian company and then assigned to a position outside the country by that company still employed by that company.
What if it's the same company buy I'm choosing to go on my own will. I'm not getting assigned? If so what is exactly considered
as assigned?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
success2016 said:
What if it's the same company buy I'm choosing to go on my own will. I'm not getting assigned? If so what is exactly considered
as assigned?
others can correct me but you cannot move abroad voluntarily you need to demonstrate the company is sending you to work abroad with no choice in the matter. Generally these periods of employment outside of the country are expected to be temporary in nature not years.

See Appendix A section 2 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
success2016 said:
as assigned?
Assigned means you don't get a choice. If you are choosing to go, your time abroad will not count towards the PR Residency Obligation.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Are you being hired by a Canadian company for a position out of the country? Or, do you work now for a Canadian company in Canada and have been offered an assignment out of the country? Two very different scenarios. I don't think there is any position where you are assigned and "have to" take the job (although as unethical as it sounds, it probably does happen). If you are assigned overseas for a company you are currently working for in Canada, you would likely have applied or expressed interest in a foreign posting. That would likely make you eligible to count the days. If you just happened upon a Canadian company advertising globally, and available to anyone "globally" who meets the qualifications, you would likely be out of luck. Or if you are hired by the foreign branch of a Canadian company, it wouldn't count either. I believe the criteria is you have to have worked for said company IN Canada at some point before your assignment overseas and at some point you will be returning to Canada to work for the same company.

success2016

Jul 13, 2016
Buletruck said:
Are you being hired by a Canadian company for a position out of the country? Or, do you work now for a Canadian company in Canada and have been offered an assignment out of the country? Two very different scenarios. I don't think there is any position where you are assigned and "have to" take the job (although as unethical as it sounds, it probably does happen). If you are assigned overseas for a company you are currently working for in Canada, you would likely have applied or expressed interest in a foreign posting. That would likely make you eligible to count the days. If you just happened upon a Canadian company advertising globally, and available to anyone "globally" who meets the qualifications, you would likely be out of luck. Or if you are hired by the foreign branch of a Canadian company, it wouldn't count either. I believe the criteria is you have to have worked for said company IN Canada at some point before your assignment overseas and at some point you will be returning to Canada to work for the same company.

It's the same company that I've worked for in Canada and I applied for a transfer abroad. My company didn't tell me to go....I wanted to, applied for a transfer, and they offered me a job. Not sure if that qualifies.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Is the overseas job for a specific duration? Is there a co tract stating the time you will be overseas and are you or will you have a job with the same company in Canada when you get back?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Buletruck said:
Is the overseas job for a specific duration? Is there a co tract stating the time you will be overseas and are you or will you have a job with the same company in Canada when you get back?
i think this the key to any argument asking for a transfer if that transfer is permenant versus asking for a transfer for a temporary or fixed duration.

Think only the latter could meet RO, whether volunteering or not is not the point it is the temporary nature that is key given still working for the Canadian based company with the intent at the completion of the assigment to return to Canada . Not the same if were classed as a perm transfer even if still working for the Canadian company as there is not necessarily any intent to return if that all makes sense.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I agree. Seems that to qualify, there must be a fixed term in the overseas employment. You must return to Canada at some point t and work for the same company. There's no open ended contract option.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
success2016 said:
It's the same company that I've worked for in Canada and I applied for a transfer abroad. My company didn't tell me to go....I wanted to, applied for a transfer, and they offered me a job. Not sure if that qualifies.
No, that doesn't qualify. Here is the exact wording from IRPA:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-12.html#h-29

Employment outside Canada

(3) For the purposes of subparagraphs 28(2)(a)(iii) and (iv) of the Act, the expression employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province means, in relation to a permanent resident, that the permanent resident is an employee of, or under contract to provide services to, a Canadian business or the public service of Canada or of a province, and is assigned on a full-time basis as a term of the employment or contract to

(a) a position outside Canada;