+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Water damaged passport with Canadian visa

Aug 22, 2023
I have received my COPR. My passport with the stamped visa has been water damaged but the info on my visa stamp is intact(not faded or erased) and the visa sticker is also properly attached. My passport was not accepted at the airport because the barcode on the first page was unreadable. I will be applying for a new passport. I wanted to know, will this visa be accepted in this condition AND will this visa still work once I have the new passport OR I'll have to get the visa restamped on the new passport?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have received my COPR. My passport with the stamped visa has been water damaged but the info on my visa stamp is intact(not faded or erased) and the visa sticker is also properly attached. My passport was not accepted at the airport because the barcode on the first page was unreadable. I will be applying for a new passport. I wanted to know, will this visa be accepted in this condition AND will this visa still work once I have the new passport OR I'll have to get the visa restamped on the new passport?
Get it restamped.

We can only give generalities: assuming your COPR is intact (and it's just a printed piece of paper anyway), it will almost certainly be accepted upon landing in Canada.

BUT: that probably doesn't help you because the first task is to get on the plane, and my guess is it is very unlikely that the airline will let you board with what you have. So frankly, go and get the visa restamped.

Aug 22, 2023
Get it restamped.

We can only give generalities: assuming your COPR is intact (and it's just a printed piece of paper anyway), it will almost certainly be accepted upon landing in Canada.

BUT: that probably doesn't help you because the first task is to get on the plane, and my guess is it is very unlikely that the airline will let you board with what you have. So frankly, go and get the visa restamped.
Thanks for the response.

My COPR is completely intact.

My application was being processed by the London office while I was residing in Saudi Arabia. Now I am in Pakistan. Will this pose an issue?

Secondly, I have rescheduled my flight because of this issue. It is now in the last week of September. My visa expires on the 2nd of October 2023. Will the Canadian embassy or IRCC facilitate me in any manner if all of this can't be sorted out in this timeframe?

NOTE: I emailed the London office immediately when I faced this issue. I am still awaiting their reply.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the response.

My COPR is completely intact.

My application was being processed by the London office while I was residing in Saudi Arabia. Now I am in Pakistan. Will this pose an issue?

Secondly, I have rescheduled my flight because of this issue. It is now in the last week of September. My visa expires on the 2nd of October 2023. Will the Canadian embassy or IRCC facilitate me in any manner if all of this can't be sorted out in this timeframe?

NOTE: I emailed the London office immediately when I faced this issue. I am still awaiting their reply.
I would go to the VAC in Pakistan -physically - and bring your COPR, the original passport request, the damaged passport/visa and the new passport and explain the situation.

They can send it to any visa office (likely Islamabad) that has the right type of visa printer. You likely will need a new COPR as well (because usually passport number is there and it should be updated).

As long as you can travel before the 2nd, you should be okay. (They could in theory do an extension to a later date but would require some additional approvals).

Now note: I don't know exactly how they will handle this. Was your passport damaged in all of the floods? My point being, if you have a decent reason they should be understanding.

I think if you physically go to the VAC and ask you should be able to figure out how they will handle this (one way or the other) in fairly short order. Once they accept it and send it on to the visa section for printing, that will likely be 2-3 weeks. It's tight but should be do-able if you go right away.