+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Was added as primary vehicle operator- what is the effect?

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Sponsor approved: May 1,2012; file rcvd by CEM: May 8
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
PPR date: May10, PPR rcvd: May16, PP sent: May 17 ,PP rcvd by CEM:May18
VISA ISSUED...
IP: Aug16, DM: Aug19 Visa Issue Date: August 16, 2012 Visa rcvd: Aug24
LANDED..........
September 20, 2012, PR card received Nov 23,2012
Hello guys,

My hubby has his own car and he is the primary operator listed on that, no problem.. he has a GDL 5 Basic license (Alberta)

My dad, who just arrived here in Canada a month ago, went to a car auction and bought a used car. The car is still at the auction place since he doesn't have a license yet.
Last week, he got his GDL 7 (learner's). He is exempted from the 1 year waiting period, so he tried to take the road test for GDL 5 but failed.
For some reason, he doesn't want to take the road test again so soon but he needs to get the car from the auction place already. To do this, he needs to get insurance and have the vehicle registered first. Since he only has GDL 7 license, the insurance quote he got was a little high. So he listed hubby , who has GDL 5, as primary operator and he got a lower quote.

Now hubby, as much as possible does not want to get his name "used" in this case as he will not be operating the vehicle. Dad says he will get hubby's name removed as primary operator once he gets his GDL 5, (which I don't know when)

The question is, will there be any effect on hubby's driving record if he lets his name and license be listed as operator on other vehicles but has no plan of ever driving it?
I'm just concerned that this will have a negative effect on hubby's record, as we are really conscious on keeping our records "clean"

I plan to get the key of that car and no one drives it until dad gets his GDL5 and removes hubby's name.

hubby wouldn't have agreed to do this in the first place, he was just blindsided, dad passed him the phone and the insurance guy is already on the line. He is a little shy with the in laws so he just agreed.

Anyway, thoughts and comments?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pelipeli said:
Hello guys,

My hubby has his own car and he is the primary operator listed on that, no problem.. he has a GDL 5 Basic license (Alberta)

My dad, who just arrived here in Canada a month ago, went to a car auction and bought a used car. The car is still at the auction place since he doesn't have a license yet.
Last week, he got his GDL 7 (learner's). He is exempted from the 1 year waiting period, so he tried to take the road test for GDL 5 but failed.
For some reason, he doesn't want to take the road test again so soon but he needs to get the car from the auction place already. To do this, he needs to get insurance and have the vehicle registered first. Since he only has GDL 7 license, the insurance quote he got was a little high. So he listed hubby , who has GDL 5, as primary operator and he got a lower quote.

Now hubby, as much as possible does not want to get his name "used" in this case as he will not be operating the vehicle. Dad says he will get hubby's name removed as primary operator once he gets his GDL 5, (which I don't know when)

The question is, will there be any effect on hubby's driving record if he lets his name and license be listed as operator on other vehicles but has no plan of ever driving it?
I'm just concerned that this will have a negative effect on hubby's record, as we are really conscious on keeping our records "clean"

I plan to get the key of that car and no one drives it until dad gets his GDL5 and removes hubby's name.

hubby wouldn't have agreed to do this in the first place, he was just blindsided, dad passed him the phone and the insurance guy is already on the line. He is a little shy with the in laws so he just agreed.

Anyway, thoughts and comments?

Thanks
1. Your dad has accident, your spouse is listed as primary driver, insurance company finds out, insurance invalid.