+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Was a Minor when PR card expired, Can i reapply now that I'm 18 ?

Harry99

Aug 3, 2016
Hi,
My parents and i moved to Canada in 2009, i was 10 at that time. In early 2011 we moved back. As i was a minor I didn't have much choice but to move back with my parents as i couldn't stay alone. And as we didn't go back our PR cards expired.

Now, I'm 18 and my grade 12 will finish in a few months. I plan on moving back to Canada after finishing highschool, can i still get my PR status back ? If yes, what's the procedure and how long do i have(like till what age) for applying.

Thanks
Harry

ASAINI

Star Member
Apr 27, 2010
Harry99 said:
Hi,
My parents and i moved to Canada in 2009, i was 10 at that time. In early 2011 we moved back. As i was a minor I didn't have much choice but to move back with my parents as i couldn't stay alone. And as we didn't go back our PR cards expired.

Now, I'm 18 and my grade 12 will finish in a few months. I plan on moving back to Canada after finishing highschool, can i still get my PR status back ? If yes, what's the procedure and how long do i have(like till what age) for applying.

Thanks
Harry
Your chances of retaining your PR status are bright as you are moving back to Canada on your first chance at attaining age of 18.
You should apply for travel document (PRTD) from Canadian Embassy in your country.
Once you are in Canada, you should stay for 2 years straight without leaving even once. After 2 years you can get your PR card renewed.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Harry99 said:
Hi,

Thanks
Harry
Apply for a PR Travel Document on H&C grounds, since you were removed as a minor and are taking first opportunity to return to Canada after reaching age 18. BAsed on similar cases, the PR TD has very high chance to be approved.

With the PR TD on H&C grounds, you can then apply for PR card renewal immediately upon returning to Canada since the H&C reasons overcome the residency obligation.

Only problem may be getting a SIN (to work in Canada) if you don't already have one. COPR older than 1 year old is not accepted anymore, so they may demand to see valid PR card which can take many months after you apply. Not sure if PR TD can help get SIN in any way.

huongsask

Sep 3, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-01-2017
Doc's Request.
16-05-2018
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
IELTS Request
Along with application
File Transfer...
09-05-2017
Med's Request
25-05-2018
Med's Done....
06-06-2018 - Passed after 3 days
Interview........
None
Dear all,

I think I have similar case to this girl.

I have a 10-year-old dependent child. I don't not know whether the PR obligation to stay at least 730 days within 5 years to keep PR status apply for dependent children or not?

If No, which documents I can see this content?

Many thanks in advance and I really appreciate any input since it is very critical for me.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Harry99 said:
I have a SIN Card
In that case, your only problem may be that your SIN number has been set to dormant status due to you not having used it in many years. You may have to go to Service Canada, show ID and ask for it to be reactivated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
huongsask said:
Dear all,

I think I have similar case to this girl.

I have a 10-year-old dependent child. I don't not know whether the PR obligation to stay at least 730 days within 5 years to keep PR status apply for dependent children or not?

If No, which documents I can see this content?

Many thanks in advance and I really appreciate any input since it is very critical for me.
The PR residency obligation does apply to children as well as adults. However, when a young adult outside Canada that does not meet the RO applies for a travel document based on having been removed from Canada as a minor, the travel document is often granted based on their age and their circumstances. Applying at age 18 it would usually be granted.

Harry99

Aug 3, 2016
Leon said:
In that case, your only problem may be that your SIN number has been set to dormant status due to you not having used it in many years. You may have to go to Service Canada, show ID and ask for it to be reactivated.
Oh, I didn't know that even SIN cards become dormant..... Even SIN card of minors become dormant ?
Thanks for the information