+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WARSAW TIMELINE-Join here !!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My fellow CIS and former USSR applicants and their sponsors.
Those who have patronymic names (otchestvo).
My spouse had otchestvo in her given name part in IRCC docs, including COPR. Does it mean she will have it as given name now in all her canadian IDs? This is not correct then.
I checked my initial application and I indicated her normal given name in the application, but IRCC later put her otchestvo in the given name too. I thought it is ok back then, but now I am worried.

Is it normal for all applicants with otchestvo? Or shall I contact them? Well visa and COPR are already issued though.

Thanks
Do you mean it has both given and patronymic in the name field? Or just the patronymic?

And does it match her passport?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Both given name and patronymic in one field.
Passport clearly stated father's name in the separate line.
Ours have just given name with no patronymic - which crucially matches the English version (no patronymic). The Cyrillic has the patronymic. (I don't know what you mean by 'father's name in the separate line', foreing travel passports don't have this.)

So: main thing is that it matches the passport, in my opinion. She'll be able to travel with it.

As for once in Canada: I think almost all Canadian institutions will treat this as a middle name and ask what you want. For some government institutions they may insist on the whole thing with the patronymic (but may depend - i.e. I doubt the motor vehicle authority will care about middle name. Federal govt - PR card and others - I have no idea.

My suggestion would be to leave it as is and deal with it later in Canada.

BTW when we got gcms notes there were a series of entries of name modifications as they were originally entered (I guess) from the IMM0008, which requested full name. I presume IRCC later went in and decided it should match the English in the passport and the entries showed they were modifying the names by removing the patronymics.

Azimuss

Star Member
Dec 10, 2019
Ours have just given name with no patronymic - which crucially matches the English version (no patronymic). The Cyrillic has the patronymic. (I don't know what you mean by 'father's name in the separate line', foreing travel passports don't have this.)

So: main thing is that it matches the passport, in my opinion. She'll be able to travel with it.

As for once in Canada: I think almost all Canadian institutions will treat this as a middle name and ask what you want. For some government institutions they may insist on the whole thing with the patronymic (but may depend - i.e. I doubt the motor vehicle authority will care about middle name. Federal govt - PR card and others - I have no idea.

My suggestion would be to leave it as is and deal with it later in Canada.

BTW when we got gcms notes there were a series of entries of name modifications as they were originally entered (I guess) from the IMM0008, which requested full name. I presume IRCC later went in and decided it should match the English in the passport and the entries showed they were modifying the names by removing the patronymics.
Uzbek foreign travel passports (zagran) have the father’s name field: Given name, Surname and father’s name.
I will have a look at gcms and maybe will write to Warsaw.
Thanks.

Reactions: armoured

Azimuss

Star Member
Dec 10, 2019
Father's name is separate/distinct from patronymic? (Otchestvo)
No, it is the same thing, in Uzbek passport it is called father's name but essentially it is otchestvo.
Fun fact that in gcms they changed name from (example) Lena Golovach to Lena Vladimirovna Golovach and then back again to Lena Golovach. But in all communications and COPR it is finally Lena Vladimirovna (as given name), Golovach.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No, it is the same thing, in Uzbek passport it is called father's name but essentially it is otchestvo.
Fun fact that in gcms they changed name from (example) Lena Golovach to Lena Vladimirovna Golovach and then back again to Lena Golovach. But in all communications and COPR it is finally Lena Vladimirovna (as given name), Golovach.
Ah okay. Well she should certainly be able to travel with that. But you still may wish to check.

Otherwise as I said, I think most in Canada won't care and will say it's fine to just have the first name used.

Of course if she really wants to fix and you don't mind waiting, possible Moscow vo would cooperate.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Come to think of it it's possible they changed it back so that all fields matched.

In Russian zagran passports they put name and patronymic in the given name field. And apparently not always in English.

Azimuss

Star Member
Dec 10, 2019
Thanks buddy.
I will probably not do anything for now. We already have tickets for June 25th to Montreal and it is so hard to deal with VFS from Uzbekistan.
I may just email Warsaw to clarify but that's it. Don't wanna risk it.
I believe she might have Lena Golovach as a name in her PR and may have to write it in full for official documents. We can live with it I believe.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks buddy.
I will probably not do anything for now. We already have tickets for June 25th to Montreal and it is so hard to deal with VFS from Uzbekistan.
I may just email Warsaw to clarify but that's it. Don't wanna risk it.
I believe she might have Lena Golovach as a name in her PR and may have to write it in full for official documents. We can live with it I believe.
You could ask when she lands at the airport. They might be able to just leave it out.