+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Warning given at Canadian border for few new items not declared

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
Hi,
I recently moved to Canada via Detroit Windsor tunnel border using Uhaul. My landing was done in February 2021, but final move happened now.
I took the uhaul and most of the items were declared except 4 items worth 250$ Which were in new packaging. The officer collected taxes and duty approximately 80USD in leiu of seizure and told me that he is giving me a warning since it it my first violation for failing to declare goods.
I am not sure how does it impact for future border crossing, based on online search they can ask me for secondary inspection until 2 years and then it will be dropped from my account.
Can someone comment if they went through similar situation.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I recently moved to Canada via Detroit Windsor tunnel border using Uhaul. My landing was done in February 2021, but final move happened now.
I took the uhaul and most of the items were declared except 4 items worth 250$ Which were in new packaging. The officer collected taxes and duty approximately 80USD in leiu of seizure and told me that he is giving me a warning since it it my first violation for failing to declare goods.
I am not sure how does it impact for future border crossing, based on online search they can ask me for secondary inspection until 2 years and then it will be dropped from my account.
Can someone comment if they went through similar situation.
I heard 10 years rather than 2 years.

Damsel50

Nov 10, 2022
wait what, you have to declare all goods. How did he find the things you did not declare.
So, for example, if I have my printer in the package box and its new, i have to let them know and I will pay a duty for it?
Also, I am planning to drive a car in, does anyone know if I have to pay duty on it as well, but I read that if it is for personal use, you do not have too, but am asking if anyone has encountered this. thanks.

• Wow
Reactions: YVR123

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wait what, you have to declare all goods. How did he find the things you did not declare.
So, for example, if I have my printer in the package box and its new, i have to let them know and I will pay a duty for it?
Also, I am planning to drive a car in, does anyone know if I have to pay duty on it as well, but I read that if it is for personal use, you do not have too, but am asking if anyone has encountered this. thanks.
They ask you to unlock the vehicle, compare your list and conduct a search. They ask you if there's anything personal items old and if necessary you need to show them receipts. If anything not in the list especially if new, they might ask you to pay duty.

Damsel50

Nov 10, 2022
They ask you to unlock the vehicle, compare your list and conduct a search. They ask you if there's anything personal items old and if necessary, you need to show them receipts. If anything, not in the list especially if new, they might ask you to pay duty.
Thanks, steaky. I really appreciate that. Upon reading another post, it looks like I cannot come in with all my luggage at once, that's why there's a second list for goods arriving right?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, steaky. I really appreciate that. Upon reading another post, it looks like I cannot come in with all my luggage at once, that's why there's a second list for goods arriving right?
Why you cannot come in with all luggage at once? No, there is no second list for goods arriving. Once the original list is completed, they will marked it as"completed".

Damsel50

Nov 10, 2022
Why you cannot come in with all luggage at once? No, there is no second list for goods arriving. Once the original list is completed, they will marked it as"completed".
okay, are you aware about the payment on cars as well?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes. If you import something new into Canada, you need to pay duty and tax. If you do not declare it and it's found. You are smuggling goods into Canada.
They could fine you. (on top of the tax and duty) And likely put a note in your file.

Why are you shock that you need to pay tax and duty and why you think that you do not have to declare. It's the border.

Reactions: Buletruck

Damsel50

Nov 10, 2022
I didn’t know I have pay on
Yes. If you import something new into Canada, you need to pay duty and tax. If you do not declare it and it's found. You are smuggling goods into Canada.
They could fine you. (on top of the tax and duty) And likely put a note in your file.

Why are you shock that you need to pay tax and duty and why you think that you do not have to declare. It's the border.

I didn’t know I had to pay on new product such as printer, blender and wine glasses. Seeing this post made me realize am tripping. I even read it in Cbsa website that once the vehicle is for personal use, I don’t have to pay. Someone else told me I gotta be for it since it’s crossing the border. Just confuse, i guess I won’t know until I get there

Damsel50

Nov 10, 2022

I didn’t know I had to pay on new product such as printer, blender and wine glasses. Seeing this post made me realize am tripping. I even read it in Cbsa website that once the vehicle is for personal use, I don’t have to pay. Someone else told me I gotta be for it since it’s crossing the border. Just confuse, i guess I won’t know until I get there

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

You will not have to pay duty/tax on your used car.

You have to IMPORT the car, which will likely require a fee of some sort (and a thorough inspection by a certified mechanic which is not complimentary). Just a small `price' to `pay' for becoming a PR of Canada, IMHO.

Reactions: YVR123

Damsel50

Nov 10, 2022
So it has to be imported, I can’t drive it in?
You will not have to pay duty/tax on your used car.

You have to IMPORT the car, which will likely require a fee of some sort (and a thorough inspection by a certified mechanic which is not complimentary). Just a small `price' to `pay' for becoming a PR of Canada, IMHO.
so it has to be imported, I can’t drive it in??