+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wanting to move to Canada for a few years and marrying my foreign girlfriend

tradimus

Feb 11, 2019
I'm a naturalized US citizen and I have a girlfriend in Iran and we plan to marry. The travel ban in the US doesn't allow Iranian citizens to enter the US unless they have a student visa. That option will be difficult and possibly expensive. I've decided I can be with her in another country and then move back to the US after the travel ban is removed. My main concern is how long (the duration) it will take for me to sponsor her and bring her over to be with me.

With regards to Canada what are my options? For example I could get a job in Canada, move there and invite her over, get married and stay in Canada for a few years. What I've learnt for now is that I have to be a PR or a Citizen before I can sponsor her. I also learned it will take at least one year for me to be a PR. Is there a faster way?

If she comes over as a student in Canada, she would need to get high scores in English tests and at this time that might be difficult for her and even if she tried that option, it would take some time.

My CRS score is 400 without a job offer in Canada and with an offer, its 450 for a NOC Skill level A type job.

What options exist for us to be in Canada together for a few years?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can try and see if you can get a job offer in Canada. It isn't as easy as you think unless you have rare skills. The bigger issue is how would your gf get into Canada. Yes she would need decent language scores and a convincing reason to study in Canada. A TRV seems unlikely as well. All these plans are minimum 1-2 year plans before you can together at the very best.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm a naturalized US citizen and I have a girlfriend in Iran and we plan to marry. The travel ban in the US doesn't allow Iranian citizens to enter the US unless they have a student visa. That option will be difficult and possibly expensive. I've decided I can be with her in another country and then move back to the US after the travel ban is removed. My main concern is how long (the duration) it will take for me to sponsor her and bring her over to be with me.

With regards to Canada what are my options? For example I could get a job in Canada, move there and invite her over, get married and stay in Canada for a few years. What I've learnt for now is that I have to be a PR or a Citizen before I can sponsor her. I also learned it will take at least one year for me to be a PR. Is there a faster way?

If she comes over as a student in Canada, she would need to get high scores in English tests and at this time that might be difficult for her and even if she tried that option, it would take some time.

My CRS score is 400 without a job offer in Canada and with an offer, its 450 for a NOC Skill level A type job.

What options exist for us to be in Canada together for a few years?
There's likely no quick option. Everything will take a few years.

To come to Canada as a student, your girlfriend will have to demonstrate English language capabilities and achieve a minimum score on a language test. She will also need to make sure the studies she plans to take in Canada make sense in light of her previous education and work experience. Studying in Canada is expensive, she will need to show a bank balance of at least $25K just to be approved. Lastly, she will need to demonstrate strong ties to her home country to show she has no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

Probably the most realistic option is for the two of you to get married and for you to then apply for PR to Canada, including her as your spouse. You would then get PR together. As said by the previous posted, it's very difficult to secure a job offer in Canada that will get you the additional 50 points - you'll most likely be unsuccessful. I would look for other ways to increase your points to qualify for Express Entry or alternatively look into the Provincial Nominee Programs.

tradimus

Feb 11, 2019
There's likely no quick option. Everything will take a few years.

To come to Canada as a student, your girlfriend will have to demonstrate English language capabilities and achieve a minimum score on a language test. She will also need to make sure the studies she plans to take in Canada make sense in light of her previous education and work experience. Studying in Canada is expensive, she will need to show a bank balance of at least $25K just to be approved. Lastly, she will need to demonstrate strong ties to her home country to show she has no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

Probably the most realistic option is for the two of you to get married and for you to then apply for PR to Canada, including her as your spouse. You would then get PR together. As said by the previous posted, it's very difficult to secure a job offer in Canada that will get you the additional 50 points - you'll most likely be unsuccessful. I would look for other ways to increase your points to qualify for Express Entry or alternatively look into the Provincial Nominee Programs.
Thanks a lot for your input. About the second option you mentioned, I'm wondering what the timeline would look like. Suppose I receive a job offer within a few months, how long would it take for me and her to be together in Canada?
I will look into the Prov Nominee programs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot for your input. About the second option you mentioned, I'm wondering what the timeline would look like. Suppose I receive a job offer within a few months, how long would it take for me and her to be together in Canada?
I will look into the Prov Nominee programs.
It's hard to answer that question since there's no guarantee she would be approved to accompany you. If you end up in Canada on a work permit, it might be a few months before she can join you on a temporary visa of her own. Or her temporary visa may not be approved at all in which case she would need to wait until your PR application is approved before coming to Canada.

Also note that in order to qualify to apply to accompany you to Canada while you are on a work permit, you would need to get married first (or live together for a full year continuously to qualify as common law). She cannot accompany you as a girlfriend.

tradimus

Feb 11, 2019
It's hard to answer that question since there's no guarantee she would be approved to accompany you. If you end up in Canada on a work permit, it might be a few months before she can join you on a temporary visa of her own. Or her temporary visa may not be approved at all in which case she would need to wait until your PR application is approved before coming to Canada.

Also note that in order to qualify to apply to accompany you to Canada while you are on a work permit, you would need to get married first (or live together for a full year continuously to qualify as common law). She cannot accompany you as a girlfriend.
The work permit that you guys were talking about, is that different from the TN visa?

A lawyer in the US told me that I could get the TN visa and sponsor my Iranian wife and she could join me very quickly. The TN visa is valid for 3 years and I could extend it or try for permanent residency from there.
I could wait in Canada until the Trump travel ban is removed and then we could both come to the US.
I realize that the lawyer's specialty is not about Canadian issues.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The work permit that you guys were talking about, is that different from the TN visa?

A lawyer in the US told me that I could get the TN visa and sponsor my Iranian wife and she could join me very quickly. The TN visa is valid for 3 years and I could extend it or try for permanent residency from there.
I could wait in Canada until the Trump travel ban is removed and then we could both come to the US.
I realize that the lawyer's specialty is not about Canadian issues.
You qualify for a TN visa based on NAFTA. Your wife does not. She would apply for either a TRV or OWP based on your work permit. Again, no guarantee of approval unfortunately. But you can absolutely try.

Aman sran

Apr 9, 2019
Hello
I got AOR-25 jan 2019
And biometrics done on 15 march 2019
BG status is We are processing your background check. we will send you a message if we need more information.
What is estimate time when I will get PPR?