+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to sponsor pregnant wife ... Should I wait for child delivery ?

styler247

Aug 1, 2018
I'm a Canadian PR planning to move to Canada in like a month ... My wife is pregnant who I want to sponsor when I get to Canada. My wife's estimated due date is February 7th, 2019.

Question is, should I wait for the birth of my child and then sponsor both my wife and child together, or sponsor my wife now and add my child to the sponsorship once he/she is born ?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
As a PR....you have to live in Canada to be eligible to sponsor your spouse and children.

Spousal Sponsorship takes months (around 12 months) to complete the process......and if there is any change in your family composition while the sponsorship is still been processed, you can update or add the newborn to application.......so the earlier you submit the spousal sponsorship application the better to save time and you can add your newborn while the sponsorship is still been processed.......when your spousal sponsorship is approved, both wife and baby could land at the same time.

When you apply......you could indicate your wife is pregnant in.......IMM5532......Q. #10

HOW TO ADD A NEW BORN TO SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP APPLICATION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCY

csarah15

Star Member
May 28, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
30-05-2018
AOR Received.
11-07-2018
I'm a Canadian PR planning to move to Canada in like a month ... My wife is pregnant who I want to sponsor when I get to Canada. My wife's estimated due date is February 7th, 2019.

Question is, should I wait for the birth of my child and then sponsor both my wife and child together, or sponsor my wife now and add my child to the sponsorship once he/she is born ?
You can also go the inland route, if I am not wrong. Bring your wife in on a visitors visa and apply inland. This way your child would be born here and automatic citizen. Since the due date is in Feb, she should be OK to travel. Unless its more suitable for your child to be born in your home country.
Actually that's what I did, I was pregnant when we decided to move to Canada, but I was already a citizen, so after I came here, with my husband(on a visitors visa), we applied for his PR application inland(still on going) and soon my son was born and an automatic citizen.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You can also go the inland route, if I am not wrong. Bring your wife in on a visitors visa and apply inland. This way your child would be born here and automatic citizen. Since the due date is in Feb, she should be OK to travel. Unless its more suitable for your child to be born in your home country.
Actually that's what I did, I was pregnant when we decided to move to Canada, but I was already a citizen, so after I came here, with my husband(on a visitors visa), we applied for his PR application inland(still on going) and soon my son was born and an automatic citizen.
OP's situation is a little different. His wife won't be covered by medical. You however, being a citizen, was covered once you have reach the waiting period (for some province). Cost of child birth can be very high.

Reactions: starnaenae