+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to drop out of PhD and work full-time

Ally951

Jan 14, 2017
Help! I have been working on my doctoral degree for 6 years and am running out of steam. That and I am qualified for higher paying jobs that would elevate my family out of poverty and we really just need some financial respite.

I am restricted to working 20 hours as a full time student and need to work more so my family can survive.

Can I withdraw from my program and accept a full time job? Or am I unemployable because of my study permit status? I am thinking I can apply for a TFWP but am not sure how long that might take or if I will be approved.

My husband has a work permit but for health reasons cannot work more hours for the next 6 months. I am frustrated because I have extensive research skills, with so many work possibilities out of reach because of my immigration status and I am worried about my ability to remain in school and support my family without being allowed to work sufficient hours.

If anyone has any thoughts on work permit options I would be so appreciative. It seems like I can't apply for a work permit if I am a student and can't stay if I am not in school. We have made a life here over the past 6 years so I don't wish to leave. We can pay rent for 2 more months and then my research grant expires so I don't know what will happen after that so am freaking out! We really want to stay in Canada as we are originally from the US and don't have family to move back to (no family here either).

Any advice on how to proceed with immigration?

Smearingo

Star Member
May 17, 2016
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS / Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016 (received on 06-01-2016)
Doc's Request.
21-07-2016 (RPRF and PCC from Hong Kong)
Nomination.....
CSQ-PEQ-étudiant, issued: 23-12-2015, received: 30-12-2015
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
Med's Request
30-06-2016
Med's Done....
04-07-2016 (submitted 13-07-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-01-2017 (photocopy of passport pages [visa-exempt country] + 2 recent photos); documents sent: 05-01-2017, delivered: unknown (always "out for delivery" since 09-01-2017)
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Exempt Country, CoPR issued: 16-01-2017, GC-key/MyCIC account finalized: 19-01-2017, return envelope activated: 20-01-2017; CoPR received: 23-01-2017
LANDED..........
24-01-2017
I believe the best option is to complete the dissertation as soon as you can. Then you can apply for Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) which (due to your full time registration in the PhD programme) will be valid for 3 years (provided that your passport is valid for that period).

I understand how difficult it is to complete the dissertation when one is demotivated and overwhelmed by the scale of research itself and the circumstances such as the difficulties you are facing. But this is really the best way -- the degree itself is a commitment. you will feel very proud of this achievement and it can open door to future career. Will your department offer some sort of support such as research assistantship for the difficult period (that is, the upcoming 6 months in which your husband cannot work)?

I am sorry that I don't have better advice: but to abandon all your efforts in the 6-year PhD research will be too much a sacrifice to bear. From the CIC point of view, any suspension of study will make it difficult for PGWP application and may affect your later application for PR. (Depending on which programme, having a Canadian PhD degree can be helpful in support of your application.) I believe your university should be able to offer some timely assistance or advice.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ally951 said:
Can I withdraw from my program and accept a full time job? Or am I unemployable because of my study permit status? I am thinking I can apply for a TFWP but am not sure how long that might take or if I will be approved.

My husband has a work permit but for health reasons cannot work more hours for the next 6 months. I am frustrated because I have extensive research skills, with so many work possibilities out of reach because of my immigration status and I am worried about my ability to remain in school and support my family without being allowed to work sufficient hours.
As said above, you should try to seek assistance from your university to finish your degree and then apply for a PGWP.

You cannot withdraw and start working full-time on your study permit. If you do so, you will be working illegally.

As an American, you could see if your education/skills qualify under NAFTA; this would make it much easier to find an employer, as they would not be required to obtain an LMIA. If NAFTA is not an option, then you will need a job offer from an employer with a positive LMIA in order to apply for a work permit. The LMIA process can take 4-5 months or more.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you have a full time job offer from an employer, the first step is to find out if your job qualifies under NAFTA. If so, as others have said, you can apply for a closed work permit without having to obtain an approved LMIA. Fastest way to apply for the work permit would be at the border.

If your job does not qualify under NAFTA, then your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA. This will likely take quite a bit longer than 2 months. If you have to go the LMIA route and cannot afford to remain in Canada without working full time, you may have to return to the US for a few months while you wait for the paperwork to be sorted out.

JessHarvey

Jan 16, 2017
I would like to tell you to first complete your degree and then try out for some other options. If it is not possible for you hen you can also try for some part time work with your current degree source. Since completion of your degree will also open some other more option for you to try your luck for. there are also some firm who allow to complete the degree to their employee while offering part time work. Research over some details over this.