+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting to apply for common law sponsorship

Sarah_90

Dec 10, 2017
Hi all,

I am an Australian Citizen but will be applying for PR through my partner once we qualify as common law. This will be in 2018 and by this time we will be living in Australia so I will have to apply outside of Canada.

For now we live together in Canada, but my working holiday visa runs out in February 2018. We have to stay in Canada until my partner graduates from university which will be in May 2018. This means I plan to come back on a visitor visa for a couple months. We have to do this so we qualify for common law sponsorship as we aren't allowed to live apart for the 12 months prior to application.

If I have proof of a plane ticket out of the country end of May, and enough funds in my bank account to support myself not working for those months would there be any reason why I wouldn't be allowed back in as a visitor? I plan to drive to the boarder and and explain my situation to the officer there.

I believe there is an option to apply for an extension for my current work visa, though the thing is my partner and I will be attending a wedding outside of Canada in March 2018. This will be two weeks after my current visa expires. Conditions of the extension is that I'm not allowed to leave the country and come back in as a worker so there's no point in me applying for this. Essentially I'll be requiring a two week visitor status, then when we come back, a visitor status until the end of May.

I was wondering if anyone could provide advice. I believe I won't need an eTA or an official visa as I'm doing a land process (by car). I just want to make sure I have everything prepared so nothing would affect us living together for 12 consecutive months.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I am an Australian Citizen but will be applying for PR through my partner once we qualify as common law. This will be in 2018 and by this time we will be living in Australia so I will have to apply outside of Canada.

For now we live together in Canada, but my working holiday visa runs out in February 2018. We have to stay in Canada until my partner graduates from university which will be in May 2018. This means I plan to come back on a visitor visa for a couple months. We have to do this so we qualify for common law sponsorship as we aren't allowed to live apart for the 12 months prior to application.

If I have proof of a plane ticket out of the country end of May, and enough funds in my bank account to support myself not working for those months would there be any reason why I wouldn't be allowed back in as a visitor? I plan to drive to the boarder and and explain my situation to the officer there.

I believe there is an option to apply for an extension for my current work visa, though the thing is my partner and I will be attending a wedding outside of Canada in March 2018. This will be two weeks after my current visa expires. Conditions of the extension is that I'm not allowed to leave the country and come back in as a worker so there's no point in me applying for this. Essentially I'll be requiring a two week visitor status, then when we come back, a visitor status until the end of May.

I was wondering if anyone could provide advice. I believe I won't need an eTA or an official visa as I'm doing a land process (by car). I just want to make sure I have everything prepared so nothing would affect us living together for 12 consecutive months.
Hi

You can't apply to extend your work permit. You can do a border run before your IEC permit expires to change your status to visitor but it is a safer option to apply online to extend your stay as a visitor. This will give you valid status for those weeks after your IEC permit expires. You can then leave for your trip and when you return, you will be evaluated as a new visitor. With proof of finances and the return ticket, you should have no issues re-entering.