+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting Period

stankadank

Sep 29, 2015
Hey

I think I know the answer (that I will have to do the waiting period)

But maybe someone can help.

I have been living in Ontario since May 2016, I got my PR (spousal) last week but I had to have it sent from Sydney as I am back home on holiday.

When I re-enter I will re-enter with PR.

Since my primary residence is Toronto, and I have been living there for 9 months (away for 1 month) does this impact my need to sit out the waiting period?

The reason I ask is that it is probably easier/better value to get travel insurance for 3 months from Australia rather than using the Canadian private healthcare providers.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
stankadank said:
Hey

I think I know the answer (that I will have to do the waiting period)

But maybe someone can help.

I have been living in Ontario since May 2016, I got my PR (spousal) last week but I had to have it sent from Sydney as I am back home on holiday.

When I re-enter I will re-enter with PR.

Since my primary residence is Toronto, and I have been living there for 9 months (away for 1 month) does this impact my need to sit out the waiting period?

The reason I ask is that it is probably easier/better value to get travel insurance for 3 months from Australia rather than using the Canadian private healthcare providers.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Typically OHIP starts the 3 month waiting period from when you land as a PR, not when you actually started residing in Ontario on some other status. There is a stage in the PR application process where you actually became eligible to start the waiting period if residing in Canada, but this is a complex process that involves being rejected by OHIP and then appealing through the OERC (OHIP Eligibility Review Committee). However since you've left for 1 month during what would be considered your initial residence time for PR purposes, that would also cause your waiting period to start at 0 anyways.

So make sure you get 3 months travel medical insurance. It's recommended to get this from a Canadian insurer, since it would be a lot easier to deal with mailings and phone calls if you happen to make a claim. Also some insurance companies expect that you are traveling temporarily, not permanently. So if any major medical issue occurs, the company may demand you return to your country of origin at first opportunity to continue treatment (so the insurer can offset their cost with your home country's public healthcare).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
stankadank said:
awesome thankyou so much

any recommended providers?
My wife used one from this online broker site while waiting for her PR. We ended up making a small claim and there were no problems at all.
https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada