+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting on Permanent Residency, Wifes IEC may expire.

UniToxic

Feb 17, 2017
My apologies if this is not in the correct forum, please move it to where it is better suited.

So we are currently in the process of waiting for our Permanent Residency results, our expected day is December 13th according to the online account section.

However, my wifes IEC is due to expire on January 12th. (Mine is still good until April).

We are concerned if there are any delays that her visa will expire before we get to know the results. As such, we are looking at extending her visa and are looking for confirmation on what may be the best option!

Thanks again!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My apologies if this is not in the correct forum, please move it to where it is better suited.

So we are currently in the process of waiting for our Permanent Residency results, our expected day is December 13th according to the online account section.

However, my wifes IEC is due to expire on January 12th. (Mine is still good until April).

We are concerned if there are any delays that her visa will expire before we get to know the results. As such, we are looking at extending her visa and are looking for confirmation on what may be the best option!

Thanks again!
An IEC is not extendable. So, she would probably need to transition to be a visitor instead.

UniToxic

Feb 17, 2017
An IEC is not extendable. So, she would probably need to transition to be a visitor instead.
So this is why we are clarifying;

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec/extend-change.html

Option 2:
Apply for another type of work permit.

If you apply for a new work permit, you should submit your application at least 30 days before your International Experience Canada work permit expires. This will ensure that you don’t lose legal status in Canada.

If your work permit expires before we process your application, you can keep working in Canada until you receive a decision on your application. This is known as implied status.

If we refuse your application for a new work permit, you must leave Canada before the date indicated on the letter we send you.

So we are wondering, because I am still in the country on an active IEC permit, in a skilled job, would she qualify for an open work permit, she is documented all over our Permanent Residency application. If so how does one start the process for this, we don't see an option to start a new application from either of our CIC accounts.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=517&top=15

Is what is confusing us as well, is it also indicating the same scenario, as long as she applies for a new permit before the time, she can continue working until we get our final decision for PR?