+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting on Oath-SK

canirish2018

Nov 30, 2018
Hi all,

We are currently waiting on our oath ceremony for Saskatoon, passed our tests and interviews in March. However our circumstances have changed. We now need to return to our home country. But also our PR is due to expire at the end of this month. Ive been in contact with IRCC and they are stating that all is ok but we are still "in process", and that they hope to close the file by September 2019 as that will be 1 year from submission. I am nervous to book our flights as they might or might not clash with our ceremony(Possibly not clash!) Also it means we have to fly back into Canada, however with out up to date PR card, can I re-enter Canada on a visitors visa? Anyone any advise?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hi all,

We are currently waiting on our oath ceremony for Saskatoon, passed our tests and interviews in March. However our circumstances have changed. We now need to return to our home country. But also our PR is due to expire at the end of this month. Ive been in contact with IRCC and they are stating that all is ok but we are still "in process", and that they hope to close the file by September 2019 as that will be 1 year from submission. I am nervous to book our flights as they might or might not clash with our ceremony(Possibly not clash!) Also it means we have to fly back into Canada, however with out up to date PR card, can I re-enter Canada on a visitors visa? Anyone any advise?
I believe you mean your PR card is expiring as PR status doesn't expire. It can get to the point where you are in danger of losing it but that's a separate and I believe non relevant topic here.

Regarding the entering Canada specifically part, as a PR you can't fly into Canada without a PR card (or other acceptable travel doc, see (b) below). I don't know which country you are from but if you are say from a visa exempt country you would need PR card or eTA and can't get an eTA when a PR. I believe similar if needing a visa, you won't get a visa if you hold PR.

The ways around this are:

a) Get a new PR card. Takes about a month (possibly from when they get it) at the moment.

b) Apply for a PRTD from abroad once you are there, can take 2-4 weeks though I do know people who have got it within a day. Can require a lot of paperwork (CoPR and things) although likely you'd be travelling with all that.

c) Don't fly back to Canada, fly back to the US and enter Canada via a land crossing where you can enter without a PR card (might mean a delay). Also yes aware Saskatoon isn't exactly on the US border, but it's one possibility.

d) It is possible that if you have a visa in your passport (ie: paper document and not an eTA) showing validity for when you need it, the airline may let you board a plane to Canada if they don't realize you are a PR and don't have your PR card. I would not recommend this, I mention it in case you had considered it. Because if the airline finds out you are a PR they could basically not allow you to board and as it's 'your' fault essentially not owe you anything. I don't know if airlines validate visas like they do eTAs. I also wouldn't trust the airlines, I know an airline let friends fly with a photocopy of a PR, they they got stuck in Germany for a week half way home because Air Canada (correctly) said you're not boarding a flight to Canada without a PR card or eTA/valid visa...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi all,

No, you can't travel with a visitor visa. As a Permanent Resident, you are not eligible to apply for one.

canirish2018

Nov 30, 2018
Thanks for your information.

I'm an irish citizen, so I think Im a visa expemt country. Ideally Id prefer not to renew my PR card, as I've just sold my primary residence and will be leaving Mid July.But once I arrive home I can apply for PRTD us and travel back with my family.

Do I need to inform IRCC that we are leaving? and would this impact my Oath ceremony?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for your information.

I'm an irish citizen, so I think Im a visa expemt country. Ideally Id prefer not to renew my PR card, as I've just sold my primary residence and will be leaving Mid July.But once I arrive home I can apply for PRTD us and travel back with my family.

Do I need to inform IRCC that we are leaving? and would this impact my Oath ceremony?
That doesn't help. You can't get an eTA either. A PRTD or land border crossing are the only two alternatives.

You should update IRCC with your contact detail changes. Your Oath just requires that you be there. It doesn't matter where you are living at the time.

canirish2018

Nov 30, 2018
Ok Thank you for the information, Ive got a clearer picture of what is next for us, I thought that we might not be able to come back at all without an up to date PR card!