+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for TEF certificate...

moonpie92

Dec 27, 2018
Hi all!

I did my TEF exam back in October, and received my results via e-mail in mid-November. The institution I did the exam at informed me that I would receive my paper certificate in one month's time but I haven't received it yet.

I would like to get started on my application as soon as possible and my TEF results enables me to gain 13 points. I would like to know what the minimum information required in order to enter/verify my TEF results into my application. Should I wait for the paper certificate or not?

Thank you so much in advance!

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi all!

I did my TEF exam back in October, and received my results via e-mail in mid-November. The institution I did the exam at informed me that I would receive my paper certificate in one month's time but I haven't received it yet.

I would like to get started on my application as soon as possible and my TEF results enables me to gain 13 points. I would like to know what the minimum information required in order to enter/verify my TEF results into my application. Should I wait for the paper certificate or not?

Thank you so much in advance!
Unless you're in an extreme hurry, I would suggest to wait for the final certificate, really. That will have the final score, in case a score was changed in the meantime. It happens. The score you receive via email is not official, and may not be final.

If you're in an extreme hurry, like for example if an upcoming birthday will make you lose points to the point of not being eligible anymore, you can enter a dummy report number, and change it Post-ITA once you receive the report. But I don't encourage this, as this change becomes visible to the reviewing officer. Not that it would cause any trouble though...

moonpie92

Dec 27, 2018
Thank you so much for the response.

Would it be wise to submit my express entry application (without mentioning my TEF results at all - I still have an adequate score) and then update the application once I receive my TEF certificate?

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Thank you so much for the response.

Would it be wise to submit my express entry application (without mentioning my TEF results at all - I still have an adequate score) and then update the application once I receive my TEF certificate?
Yes you can do that.
But if you receive an ITA with a score without TEF, your score will increase when you enter your TEF results.
Just don't forget to mention that in letter of explanation.