Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
Feb-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb-18-2013
LANDED..........
Feb-18-2013
Called the Regie D'assurance de Quebec and they said that no reimbursement is possible for back bills. So the rumor I read somewhere that once I get my coverage I could get some of the money I have spent on pregnancy is not true... that was a long shot anyways.

CDNUSCOUPLE

Jul 27, 2012
Hi All,

My wife and I applied for her PR in April (I am a Canadian Citizen and she is a US Citizen). Health insurance in BC or MSP (Medical Service Plan) is actually allowed for those who have applied for PR. This is because you are deemed a resident.

If you go to the MSP website and check about eligibility.

An except says:

Based on the preceding, Canadian citizens and persons with permanent resident status in Canada are eligible to apply for benefits. In addition, certain non-permanent residents may be deemed residents and thus be considered eligible; for example, many holders of study permits and work permits if the permits are valid for six or more months, and many applicants for permanent resident status who are the spouse or child of a resident. Tourists and visitors to B.C. are not eligible for provincial health care benefits.

Reading more you will see that the 3 month waiting period starts when you first apply for PR. I did not see this on the website when when I was looking into it a few months ago. So we applied to add her as my spouse on MSP 2 weeks ago and I believe the application is still being processed. I will update people on what happens but i fully expect it to go through.

Regards
R

CDNUSCOUPLE

Jul 27, 2012
Oh and also, don't be like that couple that had their pregnancy in a motel next to the hospital. Actually go to the hospital and get the proper care your baby needs. Doctors by their oaths to the profession have to treat you.

If you're worried about the medical bills afterwards, don't. Do you know how many Americans, Australians, tourists from all over the world come to Whistler or the local mountains, break a limb, go to the hospital and get patched up? They are given a bill but then they say they don't have the money. The hospital writes it off and end of story. My extended family works in the Lower Mainland hospitals and know this happens all the time. I'm not condoning unethical behavior but realistically, if the Canadian Immigration office had less bureaucracy, then PR applications would be approved instantly and you'd have your health insurance already.

Even if you wanted to actually pay your medical bills, the hospital can work out a payment of plan over 30 years with no interest. And keep in mind, the bill they give to you are market rates. It actually costs them a lot less to provide that care.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
CDNUSCOUPLE said:
My wife and I applied for her PR in April (I am a Canadian Citizen and she is a US Citizen). Health insurance in BC or MSP (Medical Service Plan) is actually allowed for those who have applied for PR. This is because you are deemed a resident.
That was my reading of the law as well, but I'm curious what MSP requested that you provide to demonstrate you had filed the application.

In the case of the poor woman (written up in the Huffington Post) who gave birth at the Burrard Inn (across from St. Paul's in Vancouver - and I can see both the Burrard Inn and St. Paul's from my apartment) the issue was that the MSP folks required her AIP form - a formal acknowledgement from CIC that her application was in process.

Even with the 3-4 months it takes to get sponsor approval, it would seem that worst case that would be acceptable to MSP. I'm just wondering (for future reference) what evidence they asked you for to demonstrate this fact.

ivelinan

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Plateau Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr-24-2012
File Transfer...
Aug-03-2012
Med's Done....
May-13-2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
Feb-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb-18-2013
LANDED..........
Feb-18-2013
CDNUSCOUPLE said:
...but realistically, if the Canadian Immigration office had less bureaucracy, then PR applications would be approved instantly and you'd have your health insurance already.
Yes, I agree. In the US when you apply for a Green Card, within weeks of mailing your applications they send you a letter saying that your application package has been received and your status is changed to "pending" which gives you the same benefits as if you are already approved. Later on, if you get denied, you loose that status and its privileges, but since applications used to take YEARS and sometimes decades to go through (no longer true since the computerization of the process) it made a lot of sense, and I think it's a very good practice to do that.

Basically as soon as you tell a government that you are interested serious about immigrating (and since you have paid all those high fees, you must at least believe that you are eligible), it would be nice if they start treating you as their own while evaluating your claims.

CDNUSCOUPLE

Jul 27, 2012
computergeek said:
That was my reading of the law as well, but I'm curious what MSP requested that you provide to demonstrate you had filed the application.
The bc govt website says this:

provide any other indication that permanent resident status has been applied for, the MSP form should be submitted with copies of as many of the following as possible:
 a photocopy of any immigration document he/she may hold
 any relevant letters issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
 proof that the application fee for permanent resident status has been paid to CIC online or through a financial institution
 the identity page of the spouse/child’s passport and any other pages stamped by CIC or the Canada Border Services Agency
 a copy of the spouse/child’s birth certificate if he/she is a United States citizen.
 pages one and two from the CIC e-Client Applications Status website showing the receipt date of the application. (On that website, click on Check Application Status.

I submitted the receipt that we paid (IMM 5401), a copy of the dated signed application, photocopies of our passports and also a canada post print out showing that the registered mail was received at the Mississauga. That should satisfy their listed requirements but we shall see. I'll update everyone soon when I hear from them which should be any day now.

Regards,
R

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
CDNUSCOUPLE said:
The bc govt website says this:
Thanks. I'd never seen that specific text (and I've poured over the MSP website many times) but was able to find the reference from your description. It's not actually the text on the website, but rather text in a linked PDF document:

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

That poor woman who gave birth in the Burrard Inn (see http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/02/27/lynne-aitchison-mom-without-medicare_n_1303565.html) did not need to do so - a copy of her receipt and evidence her application was submitted to CIC should have been sufficient - she didn't need to wait for AIP. I've seen this issue arise enough times in the past that I'm glad to be able to point people to this document as it seems rather definitive.

lyn28

Star Member
Aug 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2011
AOR Received.
04-02-2012
Med's Request
31-08-2012
Med's Done....
31-08-2012/Oct 13, 2012 on ecas
Interview........
06-12-2012
LANDED..........
06-12-2012
hi, as im browsing this thread, I happen to read this and I have been through this. Same situation, pregnant with canadian hubby, under visit or permit, living in montreal. I gave birth april last year at a birthing center. Try to go to MAison Blue along Plamondon, that's where I had my pre-natal check up for free, but you have to pay for your lab tests and ultrasound though... Tell your situation and they will take you in :)

ivelinan said:
Hi Morena,

I'm in the exact same situation. I'm a US citizen, husband is Canadian PR card holder. Got married in April 2012 and filed outland (Buffalo) end of April. In the meantime, I live with him in Montreal under a tourist status. We have not yet gotten any confirmation from CIC about our application b/c it's too soon. Even when we do, it will be another 12 month minimum to get my status.

And we just found out we're pregnant, no coverage. We are thinking of purchasing an US private insurance policy for me and have me travel to Philadelphia (my permanent address) for the check-ups and delivery. But you can see how that's far from easy or ideal, and the delivery date being always an uncertain thing, it's very risky, not to mention unforeseen accidents or complications throughout the pregnancy.

You mentioned $1,700 for medical costs throughout the whole pregnancy, which is not bad at all, and has me feeling very hopeful right now :) Can you please tell me what city you were in, and how much the delivery was, and if you managed to get reimbursed once you became covered?

I have been trying to locate affordable clinics in Montreal, but so far have not found anything good. Even if you were not in Montreal, could you please give me the contacts of the people you used, and perhaps they can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
eve

lyn28

Star Member
Aug 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2011
AOR Received.
04-02-2012
Med's Request
31-08-2012
Med's Done....
31-08-2012/Oct 13, 2012 on ecas
Interview........
06-12-2012
LANDED..........
06-12-2012
hi, you may not get a refund from the regie, keep all the receipts from your pregnancy (checkupa and lab tests) and you can include it as a medical expenses (as long as over $500) when you file your tax, like what we did.

ivelinan said:
Called the Regie D'assurance de Quebec and they said that no reimbursement is possible for back bills. So the rumor I read somewhere that once I get my coverage I could get some of the money I have spent on pregnancy is not true... that was a long shot anyways.