+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for PR Card after landing

DeepakG

Aug 31, 2017
Hi,

I received my COPR and immigration visa few weeks back and it is valid till 28th March 2018. We are planning to travel to Canada during last week of September'17. However, we need to return back to our current base country (India) for few months to sell off our house and to deal with certain job commitments. We are planning to permanently move to Canada in July 2018.

We were told that once we enter Canada, the immigration dept will take about 4-6 weeks to send PR card and were hence planning accordingly. However, it seems that it is taking more than 12 weeks nowadays.

I'm from India - so not from a visa exempt country.

So, what can I do?

1. Can I give the mailing address of a known friend or relative in Canada to immigration? The PR card gets delivered to them and then they will courier it to me. I think this may be feasible but it is risky - what if the courier gets lost?

2. Can I leave Canada for India and then re-enter BEFORE the expiry date on COPR and Visa (i.e. Mar18). Will this be possible since my COPR and Visa are still valid?

3. Can I apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document? How long will it take to get this processed? For what I read - this document is also not confirmed - so it too carries a risk factor.

4. I also have a valid US visa. For my second visit to Canada to collect my PR - I was also deliberating to travel to US and then go by road to Canada in private vehicle. Will this be possible without Permanent Resident Travel Document? What kind of documents will they ask for?

Looking for least risky options here...