+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

waiting for PR, but we may have to live out of Canada

Francoisebz

Jan 22, 2013
Hello everybody!

We live in Canada with Work Permit and have applied for PR under QSW one year ago. The waiting is never ending!
There is a possibility that we may have to live abroad for a period of time . I would like to ask you, how does it work with the residency requirements?
We have lived here in Canada for almost 3 years but not as PR. If we get the PR visa in the next few months and after we leave for a period of time, the days that are counted are zero? I know for the citizenship each day before being PR counts as half day, does it work in the same way for the residency obligations? I am confused and can not find any information on this.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Francoisebz said:
Hello everybody!

We live in Canada with Work Permit and have applied for PR under QSW one year ago. The waiting is never ending!
There is a possibility that we may have to live abroad for a period of time . I would like to ask you, how does it work with the residency requirements?
We have lived here in Canada for almost 3 years but not as PR. If we get the PR visa in the next few months and after we leave for a period of time, the days that are counted are zero? I know for the citizenship each day before being PR counts as half day, does it work in the same way for the residency obligations? I am confused and can not find any information on this.
1. As a PR you have to reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period to maintain your residency. For citizenship you have to be a PR and have resided in Canada for 3 years in the 4 on the date you apply. Days in Canada prior to PR count 1/2 to a maximum of 1 year credit prior to PR for citizenship. So if you "landed" today, and then left Canada for 2 years, you wouldn't receive any credit for your days prior to PR when you applied for citizenship.

Francoisebz

Jan 22, 2013
Thank you PMM. So, if we leave Canada soon after receiving the PR, it doesn't matter that we have lived in Canada for 3 years, the counting starts from zero? Just for the residency, not considering the citizenship, I mean.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Francoisebz said:
Thank you PMM. So, if we leave Canada soon after receiving the PR, it doesn't matter that we have lived in Canada for 3 years, the counting starts from zero? Just for the residency, not considering the citizenship, I mean.
Correct. You'll be starting from zero when it comes to the PR residency requirement.