+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for PERM Approval and questions about when is the best time to move to Canada

NPconnoisseur

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Med's Done....
September 11th
My situation is not unique but I am unable to make up my mind to see what is the best path for me to get the best of both worlds (if that's even possible)

My employer has filed for my PERM back in Jan '21 and the based on the current processing times Oct 2020 applications are in analyst review. So in the best case scenario my PERM application may get approved by August (a big IF) and once that's done I already received approvals for the immigration firm to file my I-140 under premium processing.

The issue is I received my Canadian PR back in June '19 (soft landing date) and since then I have only stayed in Canada for 10 days. My current PR card expires in July 2024. I was hoping that my employer transfers me to Canada so I can somehow keep my US GC process active while I accrue time towards becoming eligible for Canadian citizenship.

If that's not possible planning on asking company to keep me employed for atleast 6 months after my I-140 approval so I don't lose my priority date. I already started talking with my manager but he is not fully sure yet.

Now my questions to members of this forum are

1) Considering I'd be completing 3 full years of having received a PR in June 2022 after which I lose the opportunity to renew it - is it ok if I move to Canada with just 2 years and 4 months left on my PR ? I will technically be staying well over 730 days (excluding any travel outside the country) if I move to Canada in February 2021. But, just a little worried if it creates an issue with Canada refusing to let me re-enter the country considering I haven't lived there since I got my PR or my renewal getting stuck in endless loop of processing as the immigration wants to evaluate the number of days I was present in the country.

2) Can my company still keep my US green card process active if they agree to move me to Canada to a different role that may match what I am doing now but not exactly identical. It may be a different group and different product line. I work in a non-IT Engineering sector.

Lastly, just like many H-1B people, I like the opportunities and the life US presents but also appreciative of the stability & peace of mind Canadian PR gives. Given a chance I'd love to live life long in the US, It has more to do with the life I've built here than the dollars or the professional advancement the country offers. so, I am exploring all possible opportunities that would allow me to return to the US after I get my Canadian citizenship. But, the only thing I am certain is I can't afford to move back to India due to some very personal reasons. So if staying in the US due to the allure of GC would eventually jeopardize my chances of Canadian PR renewal or the mere ability to re-enter the country having been outside for 2 years already, I would explore the possibility of leaving my current job and GC process and move to Canada right away.