+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for COPR - what to expect if I'm from a visa exempt country?

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hey there!

I applied for PR in the CEC program (I already live in Canada), and I received the "ready for visa" email on Dec 19, where they were asking me to send a copy of the photo page of my passport, 2 recent photos, my address, and a prepaid envelop to a PO Box in Ottawa. Notice that since I'm from a visa exempt country (Italy), I didn't need to send them my passport, they only asked me for a copy of its photo page.

Do you know how long the process is going to take on their end, from when they receive my final documents until when they ship their reply back with the Confirmation of Permanent Residence? (considering that I don't need an actual visa stamp, so I didn't send them my passport)

Also, are they just going to send a letter with the Confirmation of Permanent Residence, or are they also sending the actual PR card? If they are not sending a PR card, why did they asked me for 2 photos then?

Tomi2

Apr 11, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-06-2017
Doc's Request.
30-10-2017 (RCMP requested)
AOR Received.
21-06-2017
Med's Done....
16-08-2017
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
Hey there!

I applied for PR in the CEC program (I already live in Canada), and I received the "ready for visa" email on Dec 19, where they were asking me to send a copy of the photo page of my passport, 2 recent photos, my address, and a prepaid envelop to a PO Box in Ottawa. Notice that since I'm from a visa exempt country (Italy), I didn't need to send them my passport, they only asked me for a copy of its photo page.

Do you know how long the process is going to take on their end, from when they receive my final documents until when they ship their reply back with the Confirmation of Permanent Residence? (considering that I don't need an actual visa stamp, so I didn't send them my passport)

The current average time is about 30 to 40 days from when passport was delivered. However it is faster for visa-exempt countries so you might it get in less than a month.

Also, are they just going to send a letter with the Confirmation of Permanent Residence, or are they also sending the actual PR card? If they are not sending a PR card, why did they asked me for 2 photos then?
No, they are not sending the PR Card. You will get your COpr and then you have to complete your landing. You become a PR when you complete your landing. After completion of landing, your PR card will be mailed to your address. The current wait time for PR card is about 60 days.

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Thanks for your reply Tomi2!

Do you know how long is it going to take them from delivery of my package to the shipping of the COPR? Is the process faster for visa exempt applicants?

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Thanks for your reply Tomi2!

Do you know how long is it going to take them from delivery of my package to the shipping of the COPR? Is the process faster for visa exempt applicants?
Yes it is bit faster as they wont have to stamp your passport.

Reactions: Tomi2

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Yes it is bit faster as they wont have to stamp your passport.
Thanks for your reply! :)

Can any visa-exempt applicant share their experience on how long it took to them to get COPR after the "Ready for Visa" email? Any timeline to share?

shantanu1988

Star Member
Apr 28, 2016
I got my ppr Request but right now i m traveling . Is there any way i can request to extend my 30 days period. As i know we can email them what are the posibility to get extenstion ? Please reply

fireal.jon

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Kelowna, BC
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-08-2017
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
Med's Done....
14-09-2016
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017
See my signature for my timeline. I just completed the process. I was visa exempt CEC Inland as well.

Reactions: Cell and Tomi2

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
See my signature for my timeline. I just completed the process. I was visa exempt CEC Inland as well.
Thank you for your reply fireal.jon...! Based on your timeline and on the timelines of other people that require a visa stamp, it seems like it should take a little bit less. Thank you so much for your reply. :)

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Just to let you guys know, if anybody is interested, I got notified about my PR approval last night, Jan 6 - around 8pm Pacific Time (I'm in BC), which is pretty weird in terms of time and day (a Saturday night). In Ottawa, at that time it was 11pm Eastern Time. Somebody must have been working overnight on the weekend just to approve my PR.

So, despite the holidays, it took basically two weeks to have the status changed to "Approved", as my documents arrived in Ottawa on Dec 22. Based on other people's timeline, I'm expecting to get my COPR in the mail in about a week. So happy it's almost over! :D