+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wait time for PR card + travel during the wait period

confusedapplicant

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
I landed through the CIC office in Toronto, so I got the "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" signed and dated.

It's been a few weeks and I am still waiting for the physical PR card to arrive in the mail.

I have travel plans in the next few weeks that involve crossing the border down south to the US

• How long does it take approx to get the actual PR card?
  • If I haven't actually got my PR card - but I have the CoPR, can I travel cross border?

If it makes any difference, I still have a valid work permit + regular visa (not the PR visa) - I am not sure if those become invalidated once I landed.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
confusedapplicant said:
I landed through the CIC office in Toronto, so I got the "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" signed and dated.

It's been a few weeks and I am still waiting for the physical PR card to arrive in the mail.

I have travel plans in the next few weeks that involve crossing the border down south to the US

• How long does it take approx to get the actual PR card?
58 days: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/

• If I haven't actually got my PR card - but I have the CoPR, can I travel cross border?
You can travel out of Canada any time.
You can use your CoPR to reenter Canada if you are crossing the border with a private/rented vehicle.
For commercial travel, you'd have to apply for a PR travel document in the US.

I am not sure if those become invalidated once I landed.
Yes they are since you're already a PR.

confusedapplicant

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
bellaluna said:
You can travel out of Canada any time.
You can use your CoPR to reenter Canada if you are crossing the border with a private/rented vehicle.
For commercial travel, you'd have to apply for a PR travel document in the US.
They don't quite specify what documents will be accepted, the CoPR has a "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" written on it though?

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

You should carry a valid Canadian passport for all visits abroad, including visits to the United States (U.S.). A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada.

Canadian citizens who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the CBSA as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship when entering Canada by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes.

Canadian citizens who are members of the FAST program may use their cards as proof of identity and as a document that denotes citizenship when arriving by land or marine modes only.

Permanent residents of Canada who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.

If you plan to travel to or transit through the U.S., we encourage you to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the U.S.

Andre_Smol

Dec 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
FSW Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Nomination.....
18-09-2015
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
06-11-2015
Passport Req..
07-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2016
confusedapplicant said:
They don't quite specify what documents will be accepted, the CoPR has a "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" written on it though?

Once you have done your landing but dont have PR card yet, you only have two options:

Arrive by car via US and use copr or appy for PR travel document from the country you are staying in and use that to fly back to canada.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
confusedapplicant said:

The CoPR alone is not valid for travel. You need to present it together with a passport.

I guess the sentence you bolded just says Canadian PRs who are in NEXUS and FAST don't get special entry exemptions.