+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vulnerable open Work Permit

Aug 25, 2023
Friend of mine applied for VOWP yesterday. Received an automated letter saying that the current work permit has been extended till march 2023 and he is expected to continue working with Speed Test same employer and profession. He has been terminated. I believe this letter doesn't allow him to find and work with an other employer untill the decision has made.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Friend of mine applied for VOWP yesterday. Received an automated letter saying that the current work permit has been extended till march 2023 and he is expected to continue working with same employer and profession. He has been terminated. I believe this letter doesn't allow him to find and work with an other employer untill the decision has made.
That is correct.

davieno

Jun 20, 2023
Mine was extended to 1 year with a notice of biometrics remaining valid till 2031.
They said in the approval letter that the documents will be sent, yesterday.

Can anyone please advise what would be the process for the visa stamping and wp printing etc. How does this arrive usually?

dragoss

Aug 29, 2023
Hi guys, is it possible to receive VOWP with a validity longer than a year? Is one year the maximum period? User sweetlips16 said her was given for 4 years.

I had a closed WP for 2 years. The plan was to make 1 year Canadian work experience and than apply to provincial stream for PR. I had to leave after 2 months.
if IRCC gives only one year I won't be able to apply for Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (when you apply you have to have some kind of work permit, and you can only apply after 1 year of experience).

Thank you.

davieno

Jun 20, 2023
Hi guys, is it possible to receive VOWP with a validity longer than a year? Is one year the maximum period? User sweetlips16 said her was given for 4 years.

I had a closed WP for 2 years. The plan was to make 1 year Canadian work experience and than apply to provincial stream for PR. I had to leave after 2 months.
if IRCC gives only one year I won't be able to apply for Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (when you apply you have to have some kind of work permit, and you can only apply after 1 year of experience).

Thank you.
I think if you can get selected under AIPP the chances are they may extend your WP also. Most of the users are applying using PNP and do get extensions.
@sweetlips16 can you please share more details, you seem to have got the longest time frame approved.

dragoss

Aug 29, 2023
"Migrant workers are eligible for a renewal only if their previous employer-specific work permit is still valid". By that time my WP will expire.

davieno

Jun 20, 2023
If you have spouse working or kids in student visa, they can consider
I know of possible extensions made based on this or you can try Nova Scotia program.