+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Volunteering while waiting for PR...?

jacquevw

Star Member
May 27, 2010
So here is my situation if anybody has any ideas or suggestions!

I am currently on a visitors visa in Canada to see my family for Christmas and I am thinking of remaining here and volunteering while my PR is in process!
I also have a worker class visa, but that expires 28 Dec 2010.

I am a Profesional Mariner and wish to do volunteer work with the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary (a non-profit organization) with the hope of becoming a full time employee of the Canadian Coast Guard once I have PR status.

Happy Holidays :D

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buddhadimple said:
What about "volunteering" in exchange for accommodation (no money switching hands)?

We're thinking about going to Canada early while we wait. Obviously I could work but he could not. But he would need a daily routine or he would go crazy - so we were thinking he could help my mom out (a lawyer) in her office and help her get her business up and running. But this would be unpaid, and a "favour" in exchange for her setting us up in a house on her property, as well as just a hobby as something he could burn time doing instead of sitting at home being bored and unproductive all day.

Is that allowed?
I doubt it, there is an implied payment and a Canadian could do that job.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

buddhadimple said:
What about "volunteering" in exchange for accommodation (no money switching hands)?

We're thinking about going to Canada early while we wait. Obviously I could work but he could not. But he would need a daily routine or he would go crazy - so we were thinking he could help my mom out (a lawyer) in her office and help her get her business up and running. But this would be unpaid, and a "favour" in exchange for her setting us up in a house on her property, as well as just a hobby as something he could burn time doing instead of sitting at home being bored and unproductive all day.

Is that allowed?
Nope, you are receiving a value for your services, which is consider work. Your mother would have to have paid anyone else to the same work, so it is not volunteering.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
PMM said:
Hi

Nope, you are receiving a value for your services, which is consider work. Your mother would have to have paid anyone else to the same work, so it is not volunteering.
Could they not help the MIL out of the goodness of their heart and the MIL provide accommodation out of the goodness of hear heart?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
heatherusa said:
Could they not help the MIL out of the goodness of their heart and the MIL provide accommodation out of the goodness of hear heart?
No.