+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Voluntary renounce of PR - Process

salkab

Apr 9, 2015
I want to know the process of renouncing PR as I am not meeting Residency Obligation of 730 days. My PR expiry is June 2020 and I want to visit my family back and forth since they are settled in Canada. They moved recently and they will be able to meet Residency Obligation.

Appreciate advise on the below:
1) When I should renounce PR?
2) If I renounce PR at airport, can I get visit visa immediately?
3) Can I renounce PR from outside Canada and then same time apply for visit visa?

My ultimate objective is to get PR sponsorship by my wife, once she becomes citizen.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You should of course only renounce PR as a last resort and can use your PR card whilst valid to travel or until such time you enter and get reported for failing the residency.

1)you can renounce whenever you want to using the process here based on your circumstances. If you get reported at any time you could I guess use that as the trigger to renounce. There is no right or wrong time , it is just a personal decision.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5781ETOC.asp

2)others can comment but do not think this is possible to either renounce at the airport or to get a TRV at the airport

3)this would be the approach most people would take. Given you need the renounce to process first probably advisable to apply separately for a TRV to avoid the TRV application being rejected whilst you still show as a PR in the system.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You may not be granted a visa to visit Canada when you renounce your PR if your family is living in Canada so you should try and keep your PR as long as possible.

Reactions: salkab

salkab

Apr 9, 2015
You may not be granted a visa to visit Canada when you renounce your PR if your family is living in Canada so you should try and keep your PR as long as possible.
So if the airport I am reported, immediately I can renounce if option is given? I don't want that they report me and then as result of their decision my PR is cancelled, I rather renounce voluntarily.

Please advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are reported and don't appeal you will lose your PR. You would at least want to keep your PR so you can enter Canada visit your family during that visit. Given your strong ties to Canada you're not guaranteed a TRV.