+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Void Marriage - Okay to Remarry and Negate to Mention on Application?

PabloSektman

Jan 8, 2023
Just want to check that your understanding is the same as mine, regarding the following issue:

My partner was married, and then divorced. Unfortunately, despite verbal assurances from the court (in UK), the final divorce certificate was issued 1 day after we actually got married. i.e. We were married in the US on July 24th, and the divorce certificate showed July 25th. They had been separated for 2 years and lived apart for 4. The relationship was well and truly dead and divorce not contested in any way.

Therefore our marriage was legally VOID. It was not a legal marriage and is assumed to never have taken place, as my partner was not free to marry on that date. However, it would have been legal the day after! This happened 5 years ago, and was a stupid mistake to make.

Fast forward to now, we have been living together for 5 years in a common-law relationship but would like to actually get married. I will be applying for a study permit next year for Canada.

Is there a problem with us actually getting married now and showing that marriage certificate on the application, and completely negating to mention the previous void marriage (which legally didn't happen). I assume that is okay from a legal standpoint, but is it better to mention the void marriage too (there is not an annulment certificate for it as it was VOID, not VOIDABLE).

So, for application purposes, we would supply our new valid marriage certificate, her divorce certificate, and that's it.

Is that your interpretation too?

(If you don't know the difference between a VOID, and VOIDABLE marriage, or any other terminology related to it then please don't reply).

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Just want to check that your understanding is the same as mine, regarding the following issue:

My partner was married, and then divorced. Unfortunately, despite verbal assurances from the court (in UK), the final divorce certificate was issued 1 day after we actually got married. i.e. We were married in the US on July 24th, and the divorce certificate showed July 25th. They had been separated for 2 years and lived apart for 4. The relationship was well and truly dead and divorce not contested in any way.

Therefore our marriage was legally VOID. It was not a legal marriage and is assumed to never have taken place, as my partner was not free to marry on that date. However, it would have been legal the day after! This happened 5 years ago, and was a stupid mistake to make.

Fast forward to now, we have been living together for 5 years in a common-law relationship but would like to actually get married. I will be applying for a study permit next year for Canada.

Is there a problem with us actually getting married now and showing that marriage certificate on the application, and completely negating to mention the previous void marriage (which legally didn't happen). I assume that is okay from a legal standpoint, but is it better to mention the void marriage too (there is not an annulment certificate for it as it was VOID, not VOIDABLE).

So, for application purposes, we would supply our new valid marriage certificate, her divorce certificate, and that's it.

Is that your interpretation too?

(If you don't know the difference between a VOID, and VOIDABLE marriage, or any other terminology related to it then please don't reply).
IMO you don't need to mention the VOID marriage because it didn't really exist. Maybe other members will offer their opinion as well.