+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vistor Visa-Extension

YasmineWafa

May 8, 2020
Hi, I came here to visit my sister in Canada.
I planned to leave in June, My 6 months limit is supposed to end in August.
I want to apply to extend my visitor visa to stay another 6 months with my sister. Can you please help me ? I'd like to know how to apply, the documents required that can support my status, and the possibility of being accepted or refused. Also, Is there any exceptions for COVID-19 where no need for that extension ? Thanks in advance. Kindly help me.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Transferring my replies here since you have made your own thread:

I want to apply to extend my visitor visa to stay another 6 months with my sister. Can you please help me ? I'd like to know how to apply, the documents required that can support my status, and the possibility of being accepted or refused. Also, Is there any exceptions for COVID-19 where no need for that extension ? Thanks in advance. Kindly help me.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html

No exceptions. You MUST apply for an extension if you wish to extend your stay in Canada, even if it is related to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

Ok, thanks for informing me. Can you please recommend when to apply and what are the supporting documents? I am afraid that my request will be rejected. Do your reasons for rejections so I can pass by them? Thanks!
I am not as familiar with extension applications. All I know are the general guidelines from what's been said on this forum:
- Apply about 30 days from the expiry of your status (in your case, about July), but this is a suggestion, and not a requirement. You can apply earlier or later.
- The link I provided says to provide proof that you can support your stay in Canada. That usually means proof of your finances, employment, or that of your spouse/partner.
- If by the date of the original expiry of your status (August) has passed, and you've already submitted your extension application and you haven't heard a decision yet--you are under implied status and are still in Canada legally.

From what I've observed, it's rare for extensions to be denied, especially for a first extension application. As long as you have enough finances and you aren't working without proper authorization, you shouldn't worry about being denied.

Please read the link carefully and other extension cases on this forum. You still have plenty of time to prepare.

Reactions: YasmineWafa

ghenny

Star Member
Feb 7, 2019

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html

No exceptions. You MUST apply for an extension if you wish to extend your stay in Canada, even if it is related to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

I am not as familiar with extension applications. All I know are the general guidelines from what's been said on this forum:
- Apply about 30 days from the expiry of your status (in your case, about July), but this is a suggestion, and not a requirement. You can apply earlier or later.
- The link I provided says to provide proof that you can support your stay in Canada. That usually means proof of your finances, employment, or that of your spouse/partner.
- If by the date of the original expiry of your status (August) has passed, and you've already submitted your extension application and you haven't heard a decision yet--you are under implied status and are still in Canada legally.

From what I've observed, it's rare for extensions to be denied, especially for a first extension application. As long as you have enough finances and you aren't working without proper authorization, you shouldn't worry about being denied.

Please read the link carefully and other extension cases on this forum. You still have plenty of time to prepare.
Hi Bellaluna.
I have the same concerned and my visa expires this 31st of May. And i’ve heard that it takes time to get a reply from CIC although i sent my application last month. Im worried if i overstay here without knowing i am approved or not with my extension. But im glad to know that even if my visa passed and my extention is still on process i am still legal here in Canada.
I have a question, what if i decide to go back to my country and my extention havent release yet? What should i do? Thank you and have a great day

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Bellaluna.
I have the same concerned and my visa expires this 31st of May. And i’ve heard that it takes time to get a reply from CIC although i sent my application last month. Im worried if i overstay here without knowing i am approved or not with my extension. But im glad to know that even if my visa passed and my extention is still on process i am still legal here in Canada.
I have a question, what if i decide to go back to my country and my extention havent release yet? What should i do? Thank you and have a great day
You should send in a webform indicating that’s you have already left Canada if you leave but have not heard back about your extension.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will have to apply and indicate why you need to stay another 6 months and prove that you have the funds to support your stay in Canada. I don’t agree that approvals are a given. If there are means to travel home I would expect that Canada is anxious to have visitors leave because the provinces have agreed to cover their costs if they get covid.

hondubai

Oct 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/11/2010
AOR Received.
received on 28/02/2011
IELTS Request
sent with documents
File Transfer...
27/03/2011
Med's Request
22/08/2011
Med's Done....
15/09/2011 Medical received on 11/11/11
Passport Req..
11/4/2012
VISA ISSUED...
12/5/2012 get passports back on 19/5/2012

YasmineWafa

May 8, 2020

Thanks a lot. I am grateful for your help.

YasmineWafa

May 8, 2020
You will have to apply and indicate why you need to stay another 6 months and prove that you have the funds to support your stay in Canada. I don’t agree that approvals are a given. If there are means to travel home I would expect that Canada is anxious to have visitors leave because the provinces have agreed to cover their costs if they get covid.
Thanks a lot. I am grateful for your help. Do you have any idea about the lower limit of Funds I should have ? I have a joint bank account with my sister, Is it O.K ? Kindly notify me.Thanks.

YasmineWafa

May 8, 2020
Thanks a lot. I am grateful for your help. Do you have any idea about the lower limit of Funds I should have ? I have a joint bank account with my sister, Is it O.K ? Kindly notify me.Thanks.

YasmineWafa

May 8, 2020

YasmineWafa

May 8, 2020
Hi Bellaluna.
Can I know please what are the supporting documents you have submitted ? Kindly notify me. Thanks.

YasmineWafa

May 8, 2020
The validity of a TRV has nothing to do with status in Canada. It does not allow you to stay.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There isn’t an exact amount. You should be able to support yourself in Canada without help from your sister and have the funds to travel home. Is there currently flights available to your destination? Unless you are retired most adults need to be at home to work or care for their family especially after 6 months. If you don’t have a lot of funds there will be concerns about you potentially working for cash or what your intentions are if you have already been away from home for 6 months.