+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visting Canada from US to be with Spouse (I have open work permit)

rk1234

Jun 25, 2020
Hi,
need your help. I'm currently in US (H1-B Visa) and my spouse is in Canada on work permit. (I have open work permit for Canada). Can I travel to Canada on open work permit Visa to be with my spouse (he has work permit and not a PR/ Citizen)? Has anyone been in this situation and able to travel recently to Canada?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
In theory, work permit holders are allowed to enter provided they can quarantine for 14 days, but since your immediate family member isn't a citizen or PR it could be up to the discretion of whichever CBSA agent you deal with, assuming you don't have a clearly essential reason for travel (such as a job in Canada).

If I were you, I would call them and ask.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The reunification p exception is for PRs and citizens. Assume she has no job in Canada. These types of cases shouldn’t be admitted but sometimes do.

rk1234

Jun 25, 2020
The reunification p exception is for PRs and citizens. Assume she has no job in Canada. These types of cases shouldn’t be admitted but sometimes do.
Actually, I've noticed on IRCC's website they have a procedure outlined for immediate family members of temporary residents (such as work and study permit holders), which involves sending them an email laying out your case for why you should be allowed in, and asking nicely for what amounts to an exemption.
Thank you so much, really appreciate it.