+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VISITOR'S VISA Spouse

geoffreydhalia

Star Member
Sep 25, 2017
Hello everyone, I am Canadian citizen married to Indian and we, with our 5 year old daughter live in India. My wife and child have not yet left India. My daughter has Canadian Citizenship Certificate and passport. We are now ready to move to Canada.

I was given what I now believe is misinformation by an immigration worker who suggested that we apply simutaneously (in one package submission) our Spousal Sponsorship application and Open Work Permit for wife. After weeks I have found nothing to support his advise.

We have tried for a Visitor's Visa but wife was denied last month. I was thinking we made it too easy for them to see she has little reason to return to India.

I was thinking of reapplying and changing a few things.... Or would this be just a waste of time and money... And just get on with the Outland Spousal Sponsorship....????

And does anyone know if notarized docs have an expiration, as I had them all done in Canada a couple of years ago? But as it turned out we could not submit due to family matters and could not leave India at that time....

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is no point in reapplying in my opinion. They have all your previous applications on file. There seems to have been some miscommunication because your are able to apply for a work permit with an inland sponsorship but not outland. Your wife probably would have been denied a TRV if she did not have strong ties to India. Seems like at that point you had already taken steps to wrap up your ties to India as a family so that would have been a concern.

geoffreydhalia

Star Member
Sep 25, 2017
There is no point in reapplying in my opinion. They have all your previous applications on file. There seems to have been some miscommunication because your are able to apply for a work permit with an inland sponsorship but not outland. Your wife probably would have been denied a TRV if she did not have strong ties to India. Seems like at that point you had already taken steps to wrap up your ties to India as a family so that would have been a concern.
Thanks for your reply and your opinion and your assumption that 'we have taken steps to wrap up our ties to India as a family' as that is not at all what happened. I see that this is not a forum to discuss 'personal matters' but to be clear, sometimes life deals us with highly unexpected cards, such as a death in the family and the immediate loss of support and then what remains is a thread to hold onto for survival, which is our case now, if you must now Canuck78..... Please keep your assumptions to yourself. It simply does not help....

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
The core thing here is that being spouse of a Canadian citizen your spouse is entitled to spousal sponsorship for PR which is the right way for her to go to Canada.

If she applies for a visitor visa, having a Canadian spouse is kinda treated negatively since they perceive she would go to Canada as a visitor and then apply for spousal sponsorship in land there by continuing to stay in Canada until PR is processed which is sort of against the intent of a visit visa.

If you could show very strong reasons for her to return to India from a visit to Canada, only then likely they would approve a visitor status.

Reactions: geoffreydhalia

zbridge

Jul 17, 2018
Applying for a visit visa is okay in general terms? What if one applies for visit visa and later gets married in Canada?

zbridge

Jul 17, 2018
Would a job contract from the home country be enough evidence to go back? Like a bond that one is required to complete?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Would a job contract from the home country be enough evidence to go back? Like a bond that one is required to complete?
On it's own a job contract and/or a bond will not be enough evidence as ties to return home to.

Also, if the bond has a financial repayment clause, it can be repaid even when you're in Canada/if you don't return/ repaid by someone else if you are unable to repay it. You need to prove you have other strong ties to your home country

wilesther

Dec 17, 2018
My husband applied twice for a visitor visa and it was denied. The 2 reasons were: not enough money on his account and previous travel.
1) Go back to the reason they gave for not giving her a visitor visa and work on those reasons
2) Ties in country can be you leaving your daughter behind, her having a full time WELL paid job where she has been for at least 6 months, having properties or goods in her country like lands, houses and a document showing so.
3) Did she ever traveled outside of India? If not, maybe it will be good for her to do so (of course if that was one of the reason they gave you)
4) Your wife can also apply and not say she is going to visit you, but instead go for a business related trip (school, conferences, workshops...)
In all good luck, it is not easy.
To speed up things, it might be a good idea to start with her PR (sponsorship) application.

wilesther

Dec 17, 2018
Applying for a visit visa is okay in general terms? What if one applies for visit visa and later gets married in Canada?
Then your spouse is already in Canada. SO it will be the same application, only for a spouse living in Canada and you can apply for a work permit at the same time.