+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitors visa or PR for dependant child

NiVish

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Hello everyone,
My husband is a Canadian citizen (got his citizenship after our son was born) and I'm a PR holder. I travelled to India in May 2022 to deliver my child here and my husband is in Canada. The plan is to travel back to Canada around August 2023 with our then 11 month old son. So my question is what would be best way to take my son to Canada?

1. Apply PR and while it is getting processed, apply visitors visa so we dont have to stay back in India until his PR is processed
2. Apply visitors visa directly and start his PR application while in Canada

If the second approach has a better chance of approval, we'd like to go with it

Please suggest what would be best approach

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,
My husband is a Canadian citizen (got his citizenship after our son was born) and I'm a PR holder. I travelled to India in May 2022 to deliver my child here and my husband is in Canada. The plan is to travel back to Canada around August 2023 with our then 11 month old son. So my question is what would be best way to take my son to Canada?

1. Apply PR and while it is getting processed, apply visitors visa so we dont have to stay back in India until his PR is processed
2. Apply visitors visa directly and start his PR application while in Canada

If the second approach has a better chance of approval, we'd like to go with it

Please suggest what would be best approach
I think both have the same chances. I don't think it matters if you apply for the TRV now or later. I would personally go with option #1.

Reactions: NiVish

prashh

Oct 28, 2014
mine is also in very similar situation.. my daughter was born in india in Dec 2021 i was still on pr then
Applied for visitor visa for my daughter in feb or march 2022 and travelled to canada in march 2022.
Applied for PR in August 2022 for my daughter
In novemeber application was sent back asking for one more document to be signed, we submitted that
In dec 2022 medical request was received and completed, updated in the portal as medical completed in Jan 2023
Also in december 2022 received letter that i am eligible as sponsor and PR application will be sent for further processing.
No update yet after that
We are still in canada with my daughter on visitor visa and renewing visitor visa. remember to renew it before it expires.

Reactions: NiVish