+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitors Visa Extensions, and how they affect OWP/SS

Samantha F

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
Hey there! I'm here with two questions. I landed just shortly before my wedding day, and due to unforeseen delays, it took us much longer than we would have liked to get our marriage certificate. Which of course, pushed back our application for spousal sponsorship along with the OWP.

Because of this, I'm getting close to the "send in your application 30 days before your visa expires" suggested deadline for our application. (Inland)

My first question is: If we apply to extend my visitor's visa, will this affect our application in any way? Should we notate it, if we go through with the extension? Or is it better to wait until after they receive our application?(Sending spousal sponsorship and open work permit together)

Also: There is some confusion for "Identity Documents" under "Part C" Supporting documents, it states that I must "provide proof of my status in Canada (eg. copy of temporary resident visa, study permit or work permit, temporary resident permit...."

Does my stamp that I asked for at the arrival gate count as "proof" of my visitor's status? (Until it expires)
Any help would be appreciated!