visitors and covid-19

kkim604

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Korea
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if short term visitor with no medical insurance, contracts covid-19 virus in Canada, would person be able to receive treatments without cost?
I heard, because it's pandemic, patient wouldn't be charged for hospitalization. but can't find any official info..

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you have no insurance you will be charged the costs of your treatment.

You won't have to pay upfront, you will receive treatment, but you will be billed afterwards.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have no insurance you will be charged the costs of your treatment.

You won't have to pay upfront, you will receive treatment, but you will be billed afterwards.
You could be asked to pay during the treatment. If things like testing or treatmenton an outpatient basis you will likely be asked to pay before receiving things like medication.

would encourage any visitor who is in Canada without medical insurance to self isolate. Depending on their health/age, their financial resources and who they are staying with and their potential exposure they should be more or less cautious at home.

Yayanbuboy

Apr 28, 2017
I would like to know more about this too, because my mom is here in canada she was supposed to go home april 7 but flight got canceled because of the outbreak.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I would like to know more about this too, because my mom is here in canada she was supposed to go home april 7 but flight got canceled because of the outbreak.
No idea which province you are in but as far as COVID is concerned see here for Ontario

https://news.ontario.ca/mohltc/en/2020/03/ontario-expands-coverage-for-care.html

Obviously you need to ensure your mum remains legally so probably need to use extend stay as a visitor process if her authorised stay expires around April 7 as have yet to see unless missed it any provision for unintentional visitor overstays although you would hope it is out there somewhere in the deluge of IRCC documents.. As for insurance maybe should contact her insurer to extend coverage although most travel insurers are likely to exclude COVID coverage

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html#has-expired

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that even in Ontario she would need to extend her private medical insurance in case she has any other emergency health issues.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Would add that even in Ontario she would need to extend her private medical insurance in case she has any other emergency health issues.
Even that might be a challenge as have seen press reports that many companies have stopped selling travel policies completely due to COVID so extending a policy may be a challenge. Insurance companies are obviously in business to make money but as usual when people really need them they tend to run away as fast as possible

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Even that might be a challenge as have seen press reports that many companies have stopped selling travel policies completely due to COVID so extending a policy may be a challenge. Insurance companies are obviously in business to make money but as usual when people really need them they tend to run away as fast as possible
Don’t think it will be a problem. Covid 19 will just be excluded.

iamhayer

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
My parents are in Alberta and I have to extend their stay as there is no flights available to return to India. I extend their medical insurance via GMS visitor to Canada and Covid 19 is covered in the policy. FYI Air Canada is offering future credit for upto 2 years is they were suppose to fly with them.