+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor wants to apply for Open Work Permit

deepak26v

Jul 14, 2015
My sister is currently in Canada (as a Visitor) and wants to work in Canada (Toronto). She got the visitor VISA issued to her last year itself as she had visited Canada for a holiday in 2015. This time around she has travelled along with her husband who is pursuing a full time course in Toronto. Her husband has a student VISA which is valid for 2 years. She arrived in Canada with her husband on Sept 9th 2016. This time around she did not make any amendments to her VISA and simply travelled on the previously issued visitor VISA (type V1 which expires in 2020 but she can only stay for 6 months at a stretch). At present she wants to work and also stay longer for around 3-4 years.

In this regard, I have a couple of questions:
1. Can she apply for Open Work Permit ?

2. Does not needs to apply for any amendments to her VISA before applying for OPW ? The reason for asking this is that I am not sure if V1 type is eligible to apply for OPW.

3. If she is issued an OPW by CIC, will it be valid for 1+ year or will be only for 6 months ? Thats because V1 VISAs have a restriction for staying no longer that 6 months in one stretch.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
deepak26v said:
1. Can she apply for Open Work Permit ?
Yes. Use the tool for specifics:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

deepak26v said:
2. Does not needs to apply for any amendments to her VISA before applying for OPW ? The reason for asking this is that I am not sure if V1 type is eligible to apply for OPW.
No.

TRVs and OWP eligibility are not related.

deepak26v said:
3. If she is issued an OPW by CIC, will it be valid for 1+ year or will be only for 6 months ? Thats because V1 VISAs have a restriction for staying no longer that 6 months in one stretch.
You are confusing a TRV and a Visitor Status. Please clarify those two concepts for better understanding.

If the Spousal OWP is given, it will be valid up to the date of her husband's study permit.

Monzur

Star Member
Sep 17, 2016
Dear friends, my wife is doing her PhD in Canada. I want to visit her. I would highly appreciate if you can provide some information on below questions:
1. Temporary resident visa (TRV) related:
a) Do I need to buy air ticket (including return ticket) at the time of applying for TRV?
b) While boarding in the plane do airline /immigration want to see return air ticket? I read some forum mentioning about that but I want to make sure.
c) At Port of entry (POE) in Canada do they want to see return ticket?

2. Open work permit (OWP) related:
a) My spouse is doing PhD in Canada. I am residing in different country. Can I apply for OWP from outside Canada? How?
b) I am also planning to apply for Express entry. Should I apply it before submitting PR application or after? Why?