+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visas amid COVID-19

PoojS123

Star Member
Mar 31, 2021
Hi guys, wanted to check if anyone can tell me the timeline for visitor visas being approved amid COVID-19? I am waiting for my Study Permit and plan to apply for visitor visas for my husband and baby so that they can travel with me.

I am wondering how long we'll have to wait before they can get it. For Study Permits, it's around 12 weeks for Fall 2021.

Thank you for your advice.

Reactions: PS Dhaliwal

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys, wanted to check if anyone can tell me the timeline for visitor visas being approved amid COVID-19? I am waiting for my Study Permit and plan to apply for visitor visas for my husband and baby so that they can travel with me.

I am wondering how long we'll have to wait before they can get it. For Study Permits, it's around 12 weeks for Fall 2021.

Thank you for your advice.
Your spouse should be applying for an OWP since he isn’t a temporary visitor. TRV is fine for your child.

PoojS123

Star Member
Mar 31, 2021
Your spouse should be applying for an OWP since he isn’t a temporary visitor. TRV is fine for your child.
Yes, that would be the normal course. But he plans to be working remotely in Canada while still employed in Singapore. He may look to apply for OWP at a later stage.

Generally, spouses can go on TRV and apply for OWP once they are there; that's a more straightforward process from within country than applying from outside.

PoojS123

Star Member
Mar 31, 2021
No one can tell you timelines. Also your spouse and baby also will need written authorization to travel as well as their visas since you didn’t apply together.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html
Written authorisation is not needed if the principal study permit holder is travelling with you.

Checked the timelines, it says 90 days for TRV processing. I hope it takes shorter if we explain our need to be there before the term starts...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Written authorisation is not needed if the principal study permit holder is travelling with you.

Checked the timelines, it says 90 days for TRV processing. I hope it takes shorter if we explain our need to be there before the term starts...
Written authorization is needed if you didn’t apply with your study permit and their visitor visas together.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#family

If you’re an adult student with a family member who wants to come with you to Canada, you must submit your applications together when you apply online. So if you are denied boarding that is why.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, that would be the normal course. But he plans to be working remotely in Canada while still employed in Singapore. He may look to apply for OWP at a later stage.

Generally, spouses can go on TRV and apply for OWP once they are there; that's a more straightforward process from within country than applying from outside.
Not really. A TRV is for a temporary visit so if it appears he wants to remain in Canada he could be denied entry where as an OWP allows one to live in Canada even without working. Is your husband working for an employer with offices in Canada?