+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa

ocean1c

Jul 17, 2019
Hey, so I have a kinda weird situation. Im currently a full-time student at York U on a Study Permit. Next December (2020) my girlfriend wants to visit me in Canada for a week. The question is should she mention me on the visa application and if so what relationship should she mention in there.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
She would be asked why does she want to visit in Canada and she needs to give an honest answer.

The honest answer would be : I wish to travel to Canada to meet my boyfriend (Your name) who is a full-time student at York U. She could show some photos or text messages to prove your relationship. (Highly unlikely they would ask).

What you should note that she should be able to convince the officer that she does not intend to stay in Canada after expiry of the permit legally or illegally and other things come into the picture when one has to convince the officer.

Things that confirm 'no intention to stay': Solid financials, a solid reason to come back (children, still pursuing a hot career, business in home country, ill-parents, there are just some examples) and most important: a set itinerary and confirmed return tickets.

If she already has a stamped US/UK/Australia/Schengen visa, it will become easier for her to obtain a visa.

Last edited:

ocean1c

Jul 17, 2019
She would be asked why does she want to visit in Canada and she needs to give an honest answer.

The honest answer would be : I wish to travel to Canada to meet my boyfriend (Your name) who is a full-time student at York U. She could show some photos or text messages to prove your relationship. (Highly unlikely they would ask).

What you should note that she should be able to convince the officer that she does not intend to stay in Canada after expiry of the permit legally or illegally and other things come into the picture when one has to convince the officer.

Things that confirm 'no intention to stay': Solid financials, a solid reason to come back (children, still pursuing a hot career, business in home country, ill-parents, there are just some examples) and most important: a set itinerary and confirmed return tickets.

If she already has a stamped US/UK/Australia/Schengen visa, it will become easier for her to obtain a visa.
Thanks for your reply but I was also wondering on the application form should she mention me as the person visiting in Canada and if so would she put "Boyfriend" as a relationship?

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Thanks for your reply but I was also wondering on the application form should she mention me as the person visiting in Canada and if so would she put "Boyfriend" as a relationship?
First, it would be better that if you issue a letter of invitation to her.

On the form, she would mention that she should mention that she intends to visit her friend studying in Canada and provide the details of the friend.

There is no option such as a 'Boyfriend / Girlfriend' on the form, but there is one for 'Common Law Relation' but I don't think you are a common law couple. She would need explain her relationship with you either during the interview or in one of the explanation boxes.

If asked during an interview, she can be open and tell that she intends to visit her boyfriend.