+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa

S_J

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
Dear Forum members,

My Family In-Law (5 people, Father and Mother In-Law, 2 Sisters-In-Law and One Brother In-Law) applied for a Visit Visa (CHC Islamabad, Pakistan) which unfortunately got rejected. All of the children of my In-Laws are under 18 years old.

My father In-Law runs a restaurant business and generates a good income. They own their home and have been filing taxes with the government as well.

Following were the reasons for rejection.

- travel history
- immigration status in country of residence
- Family ties in Canada and in country of residence
- Length of proposed stay in Canada
- Employment prospects in country of residence
- Current employment situation
- You have not provided sufficient documentation to support your / your host's income and assets.
- Other Reasons
1. Provenance of funds
2. I am not satisfied that you are a bonafide visitor to Canada who would exit the country at the end of your authorized stay.

My Father In-Law provided all business documents, Bank Statements (showing funds over CAD$60,000), Tax filing for business, Property documents etc. We from here in Canada provided T4 slips, letter from the employer stating my Salary which is quite healthy (Over $120K). Letter of Invitation stating that we will take care of all of their expenses while they are here.

Now we are thinking of applying for our Mother In-Law. However it seems she is not comfortable travelling on her own so she wants to bring one of her daughter along. My Sister In-Law is currently a Student and studying full-time.

Now I would like to know what sorts of documents should we add to application so that it might help them to secure the visa. Also is it advisable to apply for my Sister In-Law or should we just apply for Mother In-Law only.

Thanks for all advises.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

It's not uncommon to be rejected in such a situation as IRCC has concerns that the entire family may overstay their visit.

1. How long does your mother-in-law want to visit?

2. What is the purpose of her visit?

3. Apart from her family ties to Pakistan, what other ties can she prove? For example, does she own property/land? Have finances of her own or does she depend on your father-in-law? Has she traveled abroad to countries like the US/UK/Schengen? Does she help your father-in-law in his restaurant business?

4. Do your in-laws have Pakistani passports or they have temporary residence status in Pakistan?

5. What is your sister-in-law studying? And will she travel during her school vacations?

Cheers

S_J

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for replying to my request.

Below are the answers to your questions.

1. How long does your mother-in-law want to visit?
8 weeks (2 months)

2. What is the purpose of her visit?
My wife is pregnant and the delivery is due for next month, so we need family help in this situation as I travel alot for my work. My mother was able to secure a Visit visa in the past to help us out during previous pregnancies. However this time around she is busy and unable to visit us that is why we thought we might be able to get our Mother In-Law to visit us.

3. Apart from her family ties to Pakistan, what other ties can she prove? For example, does she own property/land? Have finances of her own or does she depend on your father-in-law? Has she traveled abroad to countries like the US/UK/Schengen? Does she help your father-in-law in his restaurant business?
The house/property in Pakistan is in her name. However she is a home maker. Few years ago she applied and received a 5 year US Visa, which recently expired. However she didn't get to travel to US.

4. Do your in-laws have Pakistani passports or they have temporary residence status in Pakistan?
My in-laws are Pakistani citizens.

5. What is your sister-in-law studying? And will she travel during her school vacations?
She study's regularly at a local college completing her education and will be visiting us during her vacation time.

We were thinking that maybe we should decrease the timeframe from 2 months to 1 month. And also get a letter from my Sister In-Law's College that she is a regular student.

Any thoughts?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

This is what I suggest....
1. Keep their visit to 3-4 weeks max.

2. Prepare a day-by-day plan like a typical tourist, wanting to spend time with you/your family, wanting to see your new home country, etc.... with expense estimates. And, prove that your MIL/SIL can afford this visit with their own finances.

3. Do not state your MIL is visiting to take care of your wife/your baby as this means working illegally on a TRV even if it is unpaid. Having said this, if the purpose of visit for their previous applications was to take care of your wife then this change in purpose of visit will not be considered positively.

4. Prepare cover letters for both of them mentioning their UCI Numbers and refusal reasons + how they have addressed the refusal + another section stating their individual strong ties + their reasons to leave Canada by a specific date.

For your MIL:
1. Submit property ownership documents (translated into English by a certified translator) + recent property tax receipts + get a valuation done by a licensed property valuer (and indicate the current indicative market value in the application) + include any proofs from independent realty websites/reports for properties in the same locality

2. If your MIL does not have adequate finances to afford her visit then include a 'Letter of Financial Support' from your FIL + his bank statement (not business bank statement)

3. Give a strong reason for her to leave Canada by a specific date with evidence. For example, she must return to take care of her young children whom she is leaving behind as your FIL is busy with his work commitments.... or the children have exams scheduled.... or even a wedding in the immediate family.

4. Include a copy of overseas travel medical insurance policy for the dates of her intended travel. This is not mandatory but shows that she has thought about any emergency.

5. Scan and also give the details of her US visa in the cover letter + mention that although she was approved, she could not travel due to XYZ reason.

6. If possible, do include a certified assessment of her wealth/financial assets such as jewelry, shares, any rental income, insurance, etc.

For your SIL:
1. Copies of admission for her current academic year + tuition fee receipts + letter from her college stating that she is a bona fide student and the date when the next academic year will start + college ID + tuition fees for the next academic year

2. A 'Letter of Financial Support' from your FIL + his bank statement (not business bank statement)

Cheers

S_J

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
thanks for such a detailed reply. I'll definitely follow your thoughts on this. Hopefully other people find this information useful as well.

Cheers.