+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa with a valid work permit

Nausicaa

Feb 15, 2012
Hi,

I worked in Canada for 9 months until June 2011 with a valid permit and had applied for work permit extension which came through after I returned back to India since my assignment was over.

The new work permit is valid till Oct 2012. In the meantime I had applied for a multiple entry Business/Visitor visa through my employer in India and was granted the same. I have left my job and have decided to do a few short term courses in canada starting in March.

Questions
1. Since Im not employed currently, not married and don't have properties documents I wont be able to show strong ties with the home country. Is it enough if I have the return ticket booked for june 2012 and my registration slips for the different courses that I am intending to do ?
2. Will it be a problem at the border if they see that I have a valid work permit till Oct 2012 ? I can show the company letter that im no longer employed with them, but that might also be a disadvantage.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Nausicaa said:
The new work permit is valid till Oct 2012. In the meantime I had applied for a multiple entry Business/Visitor visa through my employer in India and was granted the same. I have left my job and have decided to do a few short term courses in canada starting in March.
The bold line is very confusing. It seems like you've got both WP and Multiple-entry TRV even though they don't co-relate. If that is so, were you asking the questions whether you will be allowed to enter Canada at POE? or, you still need a VISA?

Nausicaa

Feb 15, 2012
Thanks alot for the reply.

Let me clarify - I am currently in India and Yes I currently have a work permit (valid only for my ex employer) and a multiple entry TRV. I had to make a business trip to Canada and hence applied separately for a TRV.

I understand I require a TRV to enter Canada for short term courses. These question is whether I will be allowed to enter Canada at POE without any problem because the border officials might know (not sure if all details are tracked in the system) that I have valid work permit till Oct 2012 and might think I'm entering for other reasons and intending to stay longer than expected.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Nausicaa said:
Thanks alot for the reply.

Let me clarify - I am currently in India and Yes I currently have a work permit (valid only for my ex employer) and a multiple entry TRV. I had to make a business trip to Canada and hence applied separately for a TRV.

I understand I require a TRV to enter Canada for short term courses. These question is whether I will be allowed to enter Canada at POE without any problem because the border officials might know (not sure if all details are tracked in the system) that I have valid work permit till Oct 2012 and might think I'm entering for other reasons and intending to stay longer than expected.
I assumed so.

If your WP was entitled to your ex-employer only; then it would have been written in your profile when you first entered Canada. Now since you left the employer, the WP is void/invalid. In this case, your multiple-entry TRV is the document that can let you in Canada. But you still have to validate your purpose of visit.

You can do any of the following:
(1) Get your registration done for your short-term courses and show this at POE. I hope that you don't require any study permit for these courses. You may require a valid return ticket as well.
(2) Alternatively, get an invitation letter from any of your relatives/friends living in Canada and by this, you can show that you're entering Canada for mostly tourism.

I cannot think any other options for now. But you should be prepared well since you have a history in Canada. The IO will definitely ask questions re: your employment and WP. Moreover, if you're unemployed now, there will be an inquiry on proof of funds.

Nausicaa

Feb 15, 2012
Thanks again for your quick reply. Confirmed that these courses don't require study permit.

I will ensure to be well prepared and have the necessary documents along with the bank statements for proof of funds.

Lets see how it goes :)

hemanth7107

Oct 10, 2016
Hi All,

My wife is on a Multiple-entry VISITOR visa. We recently received her Open-Work Permit and have not renewed her Visa status to WORKER Visa. We are travelling to India this month and don't have time to renew it now.
Can she gain a re-entry with her existing Multiple entry VISITOR Visa and a valid Open work permit? Or does the VISITOR Visa expire upon issuance of Open Work permit? Meaning she cannot enter without WORKER visa and Open work permit. Please help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She can re-enter using the multiple-entry visitor visa. It is still valid provided it hasn't expired.

Reactions: hemanth7107