+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa using IRCC Portal - Confusion with documents?

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
So I am applying for a Visitor Visa for my Mother-in-law who is in India. Here are application details

1) People inviting her to Canada are her daughter and son-in-law who are Permanent Residents in Canada
2) She herself is retired in India, had no travel history and has $30K CAD in her bank accounts to fund her trip

After completing the entire appication in IRCC portal, the documents that I am getting asked are below and this is where I had confusion regarding certain documents

Supporting Document
1) Passport
2) Funds Proof - Here the field says, "A copy of a letter from the person that you will depend on financially during your stay in Canada. The letter must include the amount of money this person will be providing, plus proof that this person has sufficient funds.". In this case however she is not dependent on us for funds, so she should just show the proof of money in her bank accounts and we dont need to put in any financial documents?

Optional Documents
1) Consent personal Information - From where to actually download this form? I dont see this form anywhere.
2) Employment Letter (Current) - "A copy of a letter from the employer in Canada. This letter must state that the company will hire you to work in Canada for a specific period of time. " I dont know why it is even showing this document as my mother in law has no job or intention to work in Canada
3) Additional Documents - Can i just add 1 additional document? I was thinking I would need to add Invitation Letter, a Letter of explanation with purpose of travel, Property documents in India etc etc but all this cannot fit into 1 document. The portal doesnt allow to add more documents. What should be done in this case? Are all these documents just optional?

The problem is this application is asking for so few documents vs in GCKey. For example the IMM5257 and many IMM forms which are not required here.

the13thtee

Star Member
Dec 19, 2021
I understand the situation here. IRCC portal got updated on Jan 15, 2022 and they've cut short the document section. I just merged all the documents and attached at the last. BTW I applied for my wife's VV.

Minid

May 28, 2017
Category........
So I am applying for a Visitor Visa for my Mother-in-law who is in India. Here are application details

1) People inviting her to Canada are her daughter and son-in-law who are Permanent Residents in Canada
2) She herself is retired in India, had no travel history and has $30K CAD in her bank accounts to fund her trip

After completing the entire appication in IRCC portal, the documents that I am getting asked are below and this is where I had confusion regarding certain documents

Supporting Document
1) Passport
2) Funds Proof - Here the field says, "A copy of a letter from the person that you will depend on financially during your stay in Canada. The letter must include the amount of money this person will be providing, plus proof that this person has sufficient funds.". In this case however she is not dependent on us for funds, so she should just show the proof of money in her bank accounts and we dont need to put in any financial documents?

Optional Documents
1) Consent personal Information - From where to actually download this form? I dont see this form anywhere.
2) Employment Letter (Current) - "A copy of a letter from the employer in Canada. This letter must state that the company will hire you to work in Canada for a specific period of time. " I dont know why it is even showing this document as my mother in law has no job or intention to work in Canada
3) Additional Documents - Can i just add 1 additional document? I was thinking I would need to add Invitation Letter, a Letter of explanation with purpose of travel, Property documents in India etc etc but all this cannot fit into 1 document. The portal doesnt allow to add more documents. What should be done in this case? Are all these documents just optional?

The problem is this application is asking for so few documents vs in GCKey. For example the IMM5257 and many IMM forms which are not required here.
Merge all documents, compress the file and attach it in additional documents section

Sandaruwan

Oct 26, 2017
My sister is applying for a Visitor visa and she is prompted with the same set of documents.
No docs such as Invitation Letter, Proof of Relationship (sibling), etc.

the13thtee and Minid when you say "all documents", does it mean all the documents that the previous GCKey portal would've asked? Including IMM forms, etc.?

NiSn did you apply? how is the progress so far?

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
Yes I applied without IMM forms etc. Only uploaded the things they were asking for. Getting biometrics done next week and no other update.

jhunix

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Cebu
App. Filed.......
19-07-2017
Med's Request
Upfront

Supporting Document
1) Passport

Optional Documents

Hi, I just applied my wife for a visitor visa. I reckon you don't need to add the IMM forms as all the details and information that were written on the forms were already in this new portal of IRCC. All you have to do is to supply the information. Regarding files, what you can do is you can merge all the files same as what I did. For example under Passport - I merge all files like Passport, Residence Permit, Purpose of Letter, Employment certificate, and payslips. Basically, add and merge all information as you can as long as the files do not go beyond the maximum size of 2MB.

I hope this helps.

prakhyyy

Star Member
Feb 25, 2022
Toronto
Category........
Other
I understand the situation here. IRCC portal got updated on Jan 15, 2022 and they've cut short the document section. I just merged all the documents and attached at the last. BTW I applied for my wife's VV.
How did the visa application go ? I am applying for VV for my wife and couldnt decide yet on portal or GCkey .

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Quick question regarding the new ircc portal. In 2020, we were supposed to choose Other - Covid-19 as a reason for purpose of visit. Are there any specifications we should know regarding the trv application for parents?

Mar 7, 2022
Hi everyone, I am also having confusions with where to put my documents. In my case I am self sponsored, invitation letter from real sister who is Canadian citizen.
Where to put my employment documents like noc, employment letter and pay slips?
Where to put invitation letter, blood relation, her canada citizenship and her house in canada docs?
Do we need to fill family information form because the portal not ask for sister information?
Is ITR mandatory in funds section?
National identity document is adhaar card?
Cover letter, itinerary etc in Additional document section?
Is it better to use old GCKEY portal as the documents section are very organized there but since I am applying for to unite with family member so is that gckey portal applicable iny case?
Please help

Mar 7, 2022
Merge all documents, compress the file and attach it in additional documents section

Supporting Document
1) Passport

Optional Documents

@Minid Is it necessary to add all under additional documents section? If we do then that means no document need to be attached in Funds (Proof) section? But website on top says you need to provide all documents under supporting documents section
Can't we provide like the following? though the details in Funds(proof) and Employment Letter sections are misleading
Actually its very difficult to merge everything under Additional documents section as the max size limit is 2 MB

National identity documentCurrent Passport first & last page
Passport/travel documentPassports (Current & Expired) showing my travel history
Funds (proof)My detailed salary account bank statement of last six months with stamp and sign from the bank
Funds (proof)Fixed deposits from all banks
Funds (proof)ITR/ Form-16
Consent personal informationNot applicable
Employment letterNo objection Employment letter for my upcoming travel plan to Canada
Employment letterLast 6 months salary slips
Additional documentsCover Letter
Additional documentsDetailed day-wise travel itinerary
Additional documentsConfirmed reservations of accommodations for 5 days, as for remaining days I will be staying in my sister residence
Additional documentsInvitation letter from my sister
Additional documentsProof of Canadian citizenship: Canada passport of my sister
Additional documentsProof of my sister residence in Canada: My sister driving license
Additional documentsProof of our brother–sister relationship: My passport and my sister OCI card show the same parents