+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa unemployed?

Apr 30, 2015
Hi

In 3 weeks I'm going to Canada to visit my sponsor/partner.
I'm employed as a gardener, but my contract ends 2 days before I leave.

-I'm going to have about 14 000$ when I enter Canada.
-I have never visited Canada before.
-I don't have a return ticket.
-I'm from Sweden
-I haven't sent in the sponsor application yet.

Is it a problem that I'm unemployed when going there?
And is it a problem that my reason to visit Canada is to see my common-law partner?
And should I send in the outland family sponsor application before I go there or when I get there? (I read somewhere that it's harder to get in as a visitor if you have already applied for PR)

I wish to stay for 6 months and hope to extend it to another 6 months.
Is it possible that they will grant me less than 6 months?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
SwedishCitizen said:
Hi

In 3 weeks I'm going to Canada to visit my sponsor/partner.
I'm employed as a Gardner right now, but my contract ends just before I leave.

I was going to start my own company as a freelance illustrator and pay taxes in Sweden. But I haven't done that yet.
I might be able to get the papers in order for this before I leave, but its gonna be tight.

So what do I write on the Electronic Travel Authorization?
Employed as Gardner?
Unemployed?
Freelancer?

I'm going to have about 14 000$ when I enter Canada.
And after my last salary and some tax return I'll have a total of 22k sometime in the autumn.

I have never visited Canada before.

We are sending in the Outland Visa application under the family class very soon, maybe before I leave, but maybe when I get there.

I would hope to get a 6 month visitor visa so I can be with my partner, and also get an extension until I get my PR.
But I'm afraid that if I write unemployed they wont let me stay for long?
You write what you are: contractor (gardener).

If there is an option for notes you can add contract from: May/1 to Sept/1 or something like that.

fredde587

Star Member
Jan 7, 2014
swedish citizens should be visa exempt, and you'll be fine i did the same as you ive been unemployed all 3 times that ive came here, all for 6 months as well-

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SwedishCitizen said:
Is it a problem that I'm unemployed when going there?
And is it a problem that my reason to visit Canada is to see my common-law partner?
And should I send in the outland family sponsor application before I go there or when I get there? (I read somewhere that it's harder to get in as a visitor if you have already applied for PR)

I wish to stay for 6 months and hope to extend it to another 6 months.
Is it possible that they will grant me less than 6 months?
People come to Canada all the time to visit their partners. It's harder to get in as a visitor if a person needs a TRV. You don't need a TRV, so you shouldn't have any issues entering.

It's possible that they may give you less than 6 months but you can just apply to CIC to extend your stay. With a PR app submitted and proof of funds, there is very little chance of an extension being refused.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
As per the eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) form on the CIC website (for Swedish nationals).... the eTA does NOT ask for proof/tenure/details of employment..... it does ask for passport/nationality details + if the applicant had applied earlier + funds available for the visit

Do you have a Swedish passport? Hope you're referring to the eTA form on the CIC website

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Bryanna said:
Do you have a Swedish passport? Hope you're referring to the eTA form on the CIC website
The eTA isn't mandatory until March 2016 and OP is entering in a few weeks, so there is no need to refer to it.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
The eTA isn't mandatory until March 2016 and OP is entering in a few weeks, so there is no need to refer to it.
While an eTA will become mandatory from March 15, 2016..... eligible visa-exempt visitors can apply for it online (since August 1, 2015).

Also the OP has subsequently modified his first post in this thread..... if you see Jalex23's reply (where he had quoted the OP's first post) the OP had mentioned about applying for an ETA.... and in the same post, s/he mentioned about applying for a TRV as well.... hence I asked if s/he has a Swedish passport. Anyway

The eTA form does not ask for employment details

Apr 30, 2015
fredde587 said:
swedish citizens should be visa exempt, and you'll be fine i did the same as you ive been unemployed all 3 times that ive came here, all for 6 months as well-
Okey cool, thanks!

canuck_in_uk said:
People come to Canada all the time to visit their partners. It's harder to get in as a visitor if a person needs a TRV. You don't need a TRV, so you shouldn't have any issues entering.

It's possible that they may give you less than 6 months but you can just apply to CIC to extend your stay. With a PR app submitted and proof of funds, there is very little chance of an extension being refused.
Okey, yes I was confused and thought I needed a TRV. But that is good to hear.
Since I dont even need an eTA, should I get it anyway?

Bryanna said:
As per the eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) form on the CIC website (for Swedish nationals).... the eTA does NOT ask for proof/tenure/details of employment..... it does ask for passport/nationality details + if the applicant had applied earlier + funds available for the visit

Actually, they DO ask for details of employment.
And yes I have a Swedish passport.
And yes I'm using the eTA form on the CIC website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-start.asp
I click on apply for eTA.
At first there is no option to choose my occupation nor marital status.

But when I write my birth date. The form updates and the box for "occupation" and "marital status" appears.

And if I click that I work in health occupations for example.
The following boxes appears:
"job title"
"provide the name of the company, employer, school or facility as applicable"
"Country/Territory"
"City/Town"
"From"

So I'm guessing they updated the form since you last checked =)

Thanks to you guys I now know I don't even need an eTA!
But I thought I would share the information.