+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa : To provide care for a loved one who needs medical support OR To visit my family

best_67

Star Member
Oct 10, 2016
Hi Everyone.

My brother, a Canadian citizen, has been living alone in Canada and facing significant mental health challenges in recent months. His doctor recommended spending time with family members for support, given his isolation. Understanding his need, I, a 41-year-old married individual with three children, am applying for a visa to provide him with emotional support. I possess a letter from his doctor detailing his medical condition. I am uncertain whether to apply for a family visit or medical support visa category through the IRCC portal. Can you advise on the appropriate classification?

Why do you need a visa? (required)
To provide care for a loved one who needs medical support.
OR
To visit my family

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Everyone.

My brother, a Canadian citizen, has been living alone in Canada and facing significant mental health challenges in recent months. His doctor recommended spending time with family members for support, given his isolation. Understanding his need, I, a 41-year-old married individual with three children, am applying for a visa to provide him with emotional support. I possess a letter from his doctor detailing his medical condition. I am uncertain whether to apply for a family visit or medical support visa category through the IRCC portal. Can you advise on the appropriate classification?

Why do you need a visa? (required)
To provide care for a loved one who needs medical support.
OR
To visit my family

Thanks
Is your brother applying alone to come to Canada? How long is visit? You can select either one but be careful selecting medical support. He cannot be seen as coming to Canada to support you with your daily needs because that is considered work. Does the doctor’s note make any mention of this?

Your brother must show funds to come to Canada as well as support family while away, travel history and ties to return (job letter with approved leave, business, investment properties etc.).

May 17, 2024
Hi everyone,
please I’ll like to ask if I still need to fill the form 5257 and provide digital photo on the new ircc portal ?

please educate me because I’ve already submitted my application and did my biometrics 2 weeks ago.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,
please I’ll like to ask if I still need to fill the form 5257 and provide digital photo on the new ircc portal ?

please educate me because I’ve already submitted my application and did my biometrics 2 weeks ago.
Nothing to do with the question asked. Please don’t hijack a thread.

Reactions: Buletruck

best_67

Star Member
Oct 10, 2016
Is your brother applying alone to come to Canada? How long is visit? You can select either one but be careful selecting medical support. He cannot be seen as coming to Canada to support you with your daily needs because that is considered work. Does the doctor’s note make any mention of this?

Your brother must show funds to come to Canada as well as support family while away, travel history and ties to return (job letter with approved leave, business, investment properties etc.).
thanks for your reply, yes I am applying alone, while my family stay in home country. I have businesses back home. doctor mentioned that my brother needs emotional help, which will aid his recovery. only emotional support, not for daily life needs help. I am applying for visit visa for 3 weeks. so you mean medical support category is fine.