+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa - Stay beyond 6 months

pgj

Sep 26, 2017
Hello,

I'm having a situation with my Mother's visitor visa and currently in Ontario and can stay till 31st Jan, 2020. As per visitor visa guideline, individual can stay maximum of 6 months , after which individual should fly back to there resident country. Now in my case situation is where she needs to stay beyond 6 months i.e. at-least additional 4 months because of due pregnancy of my sister in Ontario. Now below are some of the options we see can check and need guidance/experience around it -
1) visitor Visa can be extended as per cic site with minimum processing time of 112 days which will be beyond her last date (31st jan, 2020), so not sure if this is the option? Additionally cic site doesn't talk about how much extension can be done.
2) She also has usa visitor visa, so thinking if she can visit a relative in USA for 1 week and perform re-entry. Need guidance or if someone can share experience how much this option is valid. As some forum says during re-entry canadian visa officer needs to be convinced about why she wants to stay and all. Any insight giving daughter's due date can convince visa officer? or if anyone has done such re-entry to stay for few more months then last day of visitor visa? Thoughts please.
3) Go back to her resident country and fly back after 1 month. Hectic for her due to old age & costly. so want to avoid this option.

Request if users in this forum can help with any experience or suggestions for options 1 & 2.

Thank you and appreciate your patience.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I'm having a situation with my Mother's visitor visa and currently in Ontario and can stay till 31st Jan, 2020. As per visitor visa guideline, individual can stay maximum of 6 months , after which individual should fly back to there resident country. Now in my case situation is where she needs to stay beyond 6 months i.e. at-least additional 4 months because of due pregnancy of my sister in Ontario. Now below are some of the options we see can check and need guidance/experience around it -
1) visitor Visa can be extended as per cic site with minimum processing time of 112 days which will be beyond her last date (31st jan, 2020), so not sure if this is the option? Additionally cic site doesn't talk about how much extension can be done.
2) She also has usa visitor visa, so thinking if she can visit a relative in USA for 1 week and perform re-entry. Need guidance or if someone can share experience how much this option is valid. As some forum says during re-entry canadian visa officer needs to be convinced about why she wants to stay and all. Any insight giving daughter's due date can convince visa officer? or if anyone has done such re-entry to stay for few more months then last day of visitor visa? Thoughts please.
3) Go back to her resident country and fly back after 1 month. Hectic for her due to old age & costly. so want to avoid this option.

Request if users in this forum can help with any experience or suggestions for options 1 & 2.

She needs to apply to extend her visitor status. As long as she applies before her status expires in January, it's fine. She should not try to flagpole or go home and come back soon after.

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019
Hello,

You should go with option 1 asap. The early you apply, you will get the answer quicker. Also once the extension request is submitted, she can stay on implied status until she gets the extension result.

I also applied for the extension for my family with avg. processing time 110 days, but got the extension in around 90 days.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You should go with option 1 asap. The early you apply, you will get the answer quicker. Also once the extension request is submitted, she can stay on implied status until she gets the extension result.

I also applied for the extension for my family with avg. processing time 110 days, but got the extension in around 90 days.
It is not better to apply earlier. Applying early can actually result in a refusal.

pgj

Sep 26, 2017
She needs to apply to extend her visitor status. As long as she applies before her status expires in January, it's fine. She should not try to flagpole or go home and come back soon after.
Ok, thanks ...so as 31st Jan as last day

pgj

Sep 26, 2017
Ok. in your case how much extension you got ?

pgj

Sep 26, 2017

ok. How much extension you got for your family ? Just to understand e

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Ok, thanks ...so as 31st Jan as last day
That might be pushing the limit so maybe submit the application end December beginning January given the guidelines in the application imply to apply at least 30 days before current stay expires.

As above once the application is in she is on implied status pending a decision so even applying say Dec 31 and it takes 110 days then looking at a couple of months beyond end January for 'free'.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/eligibility.html

Reactions: @trigger