+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa stamping where to send passport?

piyush_er

Aug 28, 2017
Hi,

I am currently in the USA and applied for a Canadian visitor visa. I have recently got my visitor visa application approved and I am asked to send the passport for stamping.

Question - Where should I send the passport for quickest processing? I am asked to follow this link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/where-submit-passport.html

Can I send my passport directly to Visa processing center at Ottawa, Ontario? Or I will send to send it to New York or Los Angeles VAC only? Kindly help.

abhijitsen_2k

Sep 13, 2018
Piyush, did you receive a response to this?
I am in the exact same situation, I am wondering why is everyone sending passports to VAC center in NYC or LA when there is an option to send the passport directly to Ottawa, Canada?
What did you do finally, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks
Abhijit Sen

Sep 21, 2018
Thanks Abhijit, do we need to send passports and check separately to two different locations? Can you send me the further steps to follow.

abhijitsen_2k

Sep 13, 2018
Thanks Abhijit, do we need to send passports and check separately to two different locations? Can you send me the further steps to follow.
Yes, you need to send passport to NYC or LA's VAC.

And you need to send the money order/cashier's check to a separate lockbox address (there is a lockbox address in MA if you're sending your documents to VAC in NYC and there is a lockbox address in Dallas if you send your docs to VAC in LA). Don't send anything to lockbox address except just the money order/cashier's check.

Send the foll documents to the VAC in NYC or LA.

1. Original passport
2. Letter received from canadian consulate asking for passport to be submitted
3. Consent letter signed on page 2 (2 letter per applicant). If you are the only person applying, then send two copies not consent letter each signed on page two
4. Copy of the money order or cashiers check that you sent to lockbox (this is very important..don't forget)
5. One blank sheet of paper with the following information.
A. Your name
B. Your full return address where passport needs to be sent back
C. Your daytime contact phone number
D. Your email id

Remember, the money order/cashier's check that you are sending to lockbox address needs to be of the amount $ 32.27 per applicant. For two people it needs to be 32.27+ 32.27 = $64.54

For getting your passport back, there are 2 options-
1. Send a prepaid USPS priority envelope
included with the documents you are sending to LA or NYC. This prepaid envelope must have tracking number so make sure USPS includes the label with tracking number in that UPSP return envelope
2. Don't send any envelope but add an amount of $20.21 to the money order/cashier's check. So for one person, the total money order/cashier's check amount will be $32.27+20.21 = $52.48. For two applications, the total money order/cashier's check amount will be 32.27+32.27+20.21 = $84.75. if you exercise this option, they will send you your passport by overnight FedEx.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Thanks
Abhijit Sen

saumya2712

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Hi Abhijit, can we use Fedex to send all these docs to VAC and in that envelope only include a prepaid USPS envelope for return?

abhijitsen_2k

Sep 13, 2018
Hi Abhijit, can we use Fedex to send all these docs to VAC and in that envelope only include a prepaid USPS envelope for return?
Yes, you can send by fedex to the VAC if you want. But return envelope has to be USPS with tracking number.

Thanks
Abhijit Sen

abhijitsen_2k

Sep 13, 2018
Another question: I understand we do not have to pay any VAC service charge. A Money order/Cashier check of only 32.27 per applicant. Please confirm.

STEP 3 - Complete and sign the corresponding forms
I see a table of forms here. Do we need to send all of these or only the ones you mentioned above?
If you are including the USPS return envelope then only $32.27 per applicant is enough. If you are not including any return envelope then you have to add another $20.21 to your money order amount so that they can send you your passport back by FedEx.

You just need to sign page 2 of consent form, that's it. You don't need any other forms to sign.

Thanks
Abhijit Sen

saumya2712

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Thanks Abhijit. That was really helpful. Could you please let me know where can I find these passport return options on VAC website?

Also, the money order can be taken from Walmart/USPS itself or only from Bank is needed?

Last edited:

Ram_83

Sep 19, 2018
Hi Abhijeet,

I wonder why can’t we send it directly to Ottawa. The passport submission request clearly states it as one of the options

Regards,

Ramit

Yes you need to send your passport to either LA or NYC. Cannot send it to Otawa directly.

Thanks
Abhijit Sen

abhijitsen_2k

Sep 13, 2018
Thanks Abhijit. That was really helpful. Could you please let me know where can I find these passport return options on VAC website?

Also, the money order can be taken from Walmart/USPS itself or only from Bank is needed?
and.

VAC website has these information all over the place, but not very easy to understand. But whatever I have mentioned above is correct. Money order is money order, it doesn't matter whether you get it from the bank or USPS/Walmart.

Thanks
Abhijit Sen

abhijitsen_2k

Sep 13, 2018
Hi Abhijeet,

I wonder why can’t we send it directly to Ottawa. The passport submission request clearly states it as one of the options

Regards,

Ramit
No idea. You can give them a call and ask. I didn't take a chance and sent it to VAC.

Thanks
Abhijit

msruthi1

Oct 4, 2018
Hi Abhijit

I have submitted my application for tourist visa canada. I got the Original Passport Request Message in my account and final decision as Your application was approved. You need to send us your valid passport to finalize your application. Check your messages below for details.

So where to send passport and those details. can you send me a link what are the documents have to send