+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa question

jwh

Mar 1, 2018
I am a UK citizen - can I travel to Canada next year from March to end June (4 months) then we would be outside Canada July and August but would like to return September to end December (another 4 months). We would then leave at the end of December. Each visit would be less than 6 months but it would total 8 months within one calendar year. Is this allowed or would we have to apply for an extension in June to extend to December?

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I am a UK citizen - can I travel to Canada next year from March to end June (4 months) then we would be outside Canada July and August but would like to return September to end December (another 4 months). We would then leave at the end of December. Each visit would be less than 6 months but it would total 8 months within one calendar year. Is this allowed or would we have to apply for an extension in June to extend to December?

Thanks
There is no restriction that says you can only spend a certain number of months in any 12 month period in Canada.

You will be assessed for entry afresh each time you enter, so once in March and then again in September so as you want to stay for 4 months each time ensure you have a solid itinerary for each visit and a return ticket should you be asked. Given you plan 4 month stays you might be asked how you are financing each visit as well.

Last edited:

jwh

Mar 1, 2018
Thanks for your response - very helpful.

Does anyone on the forum have an example of when this has worked for them - ie spending more than 6 months in Canada within a calendar year broken up into periods of less than 6 months in one stretch?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for your response - very helpful.

Does anyone on the forum have an example of when this has worked for them - ie spending more than 6 months in Canada within a calendar year broken up into periods of less than 6 months in one stretch?
As a UK citizen, you would need to apply for an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization). If approved, you will be informed by email.

You won't be applying for a visitor visa because you are from a visa-exempt country i.e. you won't apply/have a visa counterfoil stamped in your passport